Manual mode

Shazbot

Hello!

I recently bought my first DSLR (D5300) and im loving this thing.
I have a couple of questions, for which I cant find answers in the manual, maybe somebody here knows:
Is there a shooting mode in which I can adjust the shutter speed and aperture using function buttons/the scroll wheel on the camera (without having to into the camera menu), and have ISO on auto-contro at the same timel?
Is there any way to have ISO in automatic mode when using any of the following modes: "S", "A" or "P"?

Thanks for any help!

Best
Shaz

Expertneo

Hello!

Yes, indeed! Having the aperture manual is the most important according to me. Using manual setting on shutter speed at the same time makes you think a bit more :) This is actually what I am using, sometimes I set the ISO on manual as well for occasions where I have more time on testing. Auto ISO almost always makes adjustable (OK rated) exposures.

Welcome!

WayneF

Hello!

I recently bought my first DSLR (D5300) and im loving this thing.
I have a couple of questions, for which I cant find answers in the manual, maybe somebody here knows:
Is there a shooting mode in which I can adjust the shutter speed and aperture using function buttons/the scroll wheel on the camera (without having to into the camera menu), and have ISO on auto-contro at the same timel?
Is there any way to have ISO in automatic mode when using any of the following modes: "S", "A" or "P"?

Thanks for any help!

Best
Shaz

Yes, the Auto ISO menu in the camera (see camera manual index).

However, then Manual exposure is not manual. The settings are manual, the selected aperture and shutter speed are manual choices, but Auto ISO makes the exposure be automatic.

Say you set f/8 at 1/400 sec. The correct exposure has good odds of NOT being f/8 1/400, so Auto ISO simply adjusts ISO so that it is.

There would be no advantage over say camera A mode and f/8. Instead of raising ISO to crazy extremes, it would simply change shutter speed.

Camera P mode is probably what you want - you can rotate the dials to alter the setting it will use (still correct exposure).

Sports photography fans do use Auto ISO with camera Manual however. They think it is important to specify one aperture and shutter speed, at the cost of whatever ISO will do it. But IMO, for general work, ISO selection is more important that that.

Steve B

I agree with Marcel. The only time I use auto ISO is for sports where I want the shutter speed to stay at a specific setting independent of the lighting. I still set the max ISO to a reasonable setting. Other work I lock the ISO so I don't get unexpected results.