I thought it was just an average picture

SteveL54

Soooooo.... Here's what happened. Just to make a long story even longer......
A few details.
I grew up in the city of Waterbury, Ct. In to late 50's, there was a small religious theme park built there on a very high hill overlooking the city.
There was a large cross erected that could be seen from all major highways going through. It was a landmark. The years went by, and the cross fell to time and vandals, so a much smaller one was erected, mush to the dismay of the people.
New Mayor comes to town, buys the property, tears down the small cross, and starts a campaign to build one like it used to be.
After two years of planning and donations, the new one goes up. It's huge (56' tall) and internally lighted. The people love it. Just like it used to be. Last weekend, I decide to go into the city (I now live about 20 miles away) and take a few pics to send to some friends and family that have moved away. I took about 15 - 20 from various locations. The one that I felt was the best I posted on the cities Facebook page. And that's when the floodgates opened. Over 600 likes and 100 comments in 24 hours about what I thought was just an average picture. People are asking for copies. They are sharing it. "Best picture ever!" I get a call from the Mayor's office telling me how much they like it. Newspaper left a message asking if they can reprint it. HUH? I'm just a hobbyist that takes "average" pictures on weekends! Sheesh. I'm not a pro. I'm not even close. I just like to take pictures. It's just a hobby!

So has this ever happened to any of you? If so, please post YOUR story here.

Here is the photo.

cross_054a.jpg

Mike D90

Great image! With a little post processing it could be an awesome image! You are more than just an average snap shooter. Don't sell yourself short.

Mike D90

I hope you won't mind that I did some post processing on the shot and a crop. If you object I will remove it.

I personally thought a crop would accentuate the actual subject and some adjustment of color to bring out the sky. I also removed that lamp post from the lower right side of the photo.

cross_054a_retouch.jpg

SteveL54

I hope you won't mind that I did some post processing on the shot and a crop. If you object I will remove it.

I personally thought a crop would accentuate the actual subject and some adjustment of color to bring out the sky. I also removed that lamp post from the lower right side of the photo.

View attachment 67010

Wow! That looks nice. I don't mind at all. Thank You.