IF AF Assist light query

Richb767

Hi
I'm new to photography and have purchased a Nikon P7700 to learn with and I would like to know if the the sensor can be damaged by IR AF assist light ?. I took a few indoor shots of my son in front of a large mirror and as I zoomed in to 200mm the AF Assist light came on, reflected off the mirror back down to the lens and resulted in a huge white light hitting the sensor. I have read that sensors can be damaged by extreme bright light so is it possible I have done some damage ?.

Sorry if it is a daft question but i'm very keen to understand the do's and dont's on camera care etc

Thanks for any advice given

nickt

I've got no data to support my opinion, but I seriously doubt it would cause any harm. If it were powerful enough to damage the sensor, it would also damage the subject's eyes.

nickt

It would be apparent, but it is really hard to find anyone that ever experienced this. There are a few stories out there. The problem with bright light and sensors is similar to when you burn something with the sun through a magnifying glass. We are talking powerful light/heat energy concentrated by your lens and cooking your sensor. Your focus assist lamp isn't going to do it even though it gave you a bright white blast. It would blind people.

Richb767

Hi all

Thanks for all your replies, So can I also assume from the previous comment that it is the heat that kills the sensor and not the intensity of light ?

Richb767

An interesting link thanks....I have also seen you tube clip showing sensor damage when filming high powered lasers so I guess it is something to be aware of

Rick M

That's an extreme case, a 600mm pointed at the sun too long. I think it's kinda like our eyes, a brief glimpse of the sun is ok, but you shouldn't stare at it!!