Nikkor 70-210mm F4 1:4 , Your personal review?

M.Hinch

I have a chance to purchase a Nikkor 70-210mm F4 1:4 zoom lens.
Looking for any personal reviews of the lens and and picks would help.
Looking for pro's, con's etc.

Thanks
Michael:confused:

kayte

I have a 70-210mm and I love it. Yes it's not auto focus and it's heavy compared to the newer lenses out there made of plastic but it's a great telephoto. I got mine for $200 with a F100 film body and 35-70mm lens, so got lucky. I don't know how much mine would have retailed new but it's worth the money.

It's good for action if you know how shoot action in manual focus and the zoom on it is great. The pictures I've taken with it are clear and sharp. If you have the chance, get it- you won't be disappointed.

Pros:
-- sharp pictures no matter the length being used.
-- fast for action shots but I've used mine for portraits as well.

Cons:
-- heavy, thought I have used mine without a tripod

Here are some pics that I've taken of my dog a while back using my 70-210mm:

juno28.jpg

juno21.jpg

juno09.jpg

juno13.jpg

Hope that helps :)

fotojack

Kayte, I don't believe the 70-210 can be used on the D40 in Auto Focus. In a camera such as a D200, the AF on the 70-210 is available, because the D200 has the built in AF motor. I think it's a great lens, and according to Ken Rockwell, so does he. Click on the link that Joseph makes available in post #2...just ahead of yours. :) Read the whole article, Kayte. You have a VERY good lens there, no doubt about it.

kayte

I did say I love this lens. I rather use my camera on manual focus anyways, so never worried about the auto- some people do,but not me. I have read that article- it was what made me realize that I have dang good lens for the money I paid, lol. It's actually my favourite lens out of the 3 I own

fotojack

Kayte, somehow I don't think you're going to be stuck at 3 lenses. You strike me as a good shopper for good lenses. :) Next on your list should be a good macro lens. :)

kayte

LOL, I don't think I'm stuck at 3 either- I'm always looking, lol, so I have a feeling very soon I will have a new 'addition' to my little Nikon family, haha! I was looking for a macro....just need to learn more about what would be a good fit for what I do, decent price for one....and set aside some money, so the hubby won't leave me for a cheaper woman (though, he would laugh at me putting 'cheap' and 'woman' in the same sentence lmao)