Non-Ai Glass on the Df

Brian

The Nikon Df is the only DSLR available that can meter with pre-Ai lenses, features a flip-up Ai coupling and uncoupled meter. Basically, fold the Ai coupling out of the way, mount the lens, and dial in the F-Stop in use with the front dial. "True Nikon Engineering", the front dial is about where the focus is on a Nikon Rangefinder.

Nikkor58_f14

It works well, the dialed-in F-stop is stored in the EXIF. For Manual-aperture lenses, such as the Nikkor-PC 35/2.8, dial in the Maximum Aperture of the lens and leave it there. Closing down the aperture will produce the correct exposure. This also works with adapted lenses, such as the Schneider 50/1.9 Xenon.

df_Xenon_50_f19

Last edited:

Brian

The Nikkor-S 58/1.4 was Nikon's first "Super-Speed" SLR lens. 58mm focal length was required to provide enough back-focus to clear the meter without resorting to a retto-focus design, as was done with the Nikkor-S 50/2. The design is a classic Planar (1-2-2-1, 6-elements in 4 groups) with the front element split into two elements of lesser power, (1-1-2-2-1 configuration). This is similar to the Leica Summarit and 1st version Summilux, which split the rear element of a classic Planar for a 1-2-2-1-1 configuration. The rendering of the Nikkor 58/1.4 and Summarit 50/1.5 is similar, lower contrast and swirly Bokeh.

Nikkor-S 58/1.4, Wide-open on the Df.

DSC_0896

By F4, this Nikkor and the Summarit "settle down".

DSC_0897

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So Brian, how do you think the 55 1.2 performs between the 58 1.4 and the 50 1.4? I have the 55 1.2 and have to say it is very special, but not that easy to understand and control at times. Wide open, I find it glows when used in backlight, but when I just add contrast, the definition is there. Closed down a bit and it's extremely sharp but there is a focus shift from wide open to let's say 5.6... Do you have any thoughts on this lens?

Brian

The Kodak Retina Reflex-S and IIIS Rangefinder were introduced a few years before the Nikon F, featured Compur shutters. Schneider and Rodenstock made the lenses for the German Kodak cameras. Inexpensive "Deckel Mount" to Nikon F-Mount adapters allow use of these German optics. Mine was ~$40 off of Ebay.

The Schneider Xenon 50/1.9 is a classic 6 element on 4 group Planar. Early versions focus to 3ft, mine is a later version that uses 52mm filters and MFD of 2ft.

DSC_0824

Classic German Glass rendering- lower contrast, swirly Bokeh.

DSC_0829

By F4- settles down, higher contrast, and sharper.

DSC_0830

Last edited:

Brian

So Brian, how do you think the 55 1.2 performs between the 58 1.4 and the 50 1.4? I have the 55 1.2 and have to say it is very special, but not that easy to understand and control at times. Wide open, I find it glows when used in backlight, but when I just add contrast, the definition is there. Closed down a bit and it's extremely sharp but there is a focus shift from wide open to let's say 5.6... Do you have any thoughts on this lens?

The 55/1.2 is sharp over the center 2/3rds of the image- even outperformed the contemporary 50/1.4 in a 1976 test. The earliest 55/1.2 was single coated, and suffered from flare. Nikon applied multicoating to specific elements of it starting in 1969, was their first multicoated lens.

I have two 55/1.2's, a Nikkor-SC 55/1.2 and a 55/1.2 Ai. Both are mint condition, and perform quite well. "Scuttle-butt" has it that the 55/1.2 can easily get knocked out of alignment due to it's big front end. That would explain why some users regard it as a "dog", but tests when new showed it was quite good. The multi-coated version is T1.25, making it the fastest lens in the Nikon line-up. Even faster T-Stop than the Nikkor-N 5cm F1.1.

I'll get some shots using the pre-Ai version and post in this thread.

Last edited:

Brian

The other lens that went to Gunston Hall today was the Nikkor-P 10.5cm F2.5, F-Mount version. This and the 13.5cm F3.5 are the two Sonnar formula lenses that made the transition to F-Mount from the Rangefinder era.

Wide-Open at F2.5.

DSC_0949

The Rangefinder version debuted in 1952. The F-Mount version is slightly modified to increase back-focus by 1mm.

Bob Blaylock

The Nikon Df is the only DSLR available that can use pre-Ai lenses…

Not true. Not true at all.

Contrary to what Nikon claims in the manual and on its web site, I've found that all of my old non-AI lenses work just fine with my D3200, albeit with some obvious and expected limitations.

2013-09-06_17.57.33.jpg

Last edited:

Brian

I've edited the post to state it is the only Nikon DSLR that can meter with pre-Ai lenses. Nikon SLR's without an Ai meter coupling ring can mount the lenses, but the meter will not work. If you are good with hand-held meters or eye-balling correct exposure, you can use lower-end DSLR's and AF film cameras.

If you want the meter to work, and have data recorded in EXIF- the Df is the only Nikon DSLR that can do this.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If I had a Df, I'll end up with four times as much Nikkor MF lenses. Hundreds of non AI lenses here in japan in great condition at a bargain price too.

Sent from my iPhone.

Brian

I ended up with a LOT of Manual Focus Nikkor lenses when AF cameras became popular in the 1980s. Hard to walk into a shop and see a 50/1.4 for $25 and walk away without it... I didnt. I had some of the lenses Ai converted when factory parts were available, only "Sliced and Diced" the 20/3.5 Nikkor-UD, picked up for $50. SO- I have a lot of Non-AI Nikon glass. The Df does make it easier to use these lenses, on Ai cameras with the fold-up coupling, you used stop down metering. I prefer the uncoupled meter approach of the Df.

As for using a hand-held meter, first time I took the Leica M8 out I had the Weston 615 Master used with my Nikon SP in the field case. Had it out, was metering the scene, then noticed the Meter LED's at the bottom of the viewfinder. About the same place as they are in the F2S. Meters in Digital Cameras. What will they think of next.

Brian

First version 35/2.8 Perspective Control Nikkor, circa 1970. Manual aperture, this is the lens that I realized dial in the Max aperture of the lens into the camera and leave it there. As opposed to my original Nikon F Photomic with the "Bullseye" meter, on that one- you can use a slider to set the aperture in use and get correct exposure with an uncoupled lens.

DSC_0402

Above, Set for a low perspective.

and below- have a hard time doing this with my Rangefinders...

DSC_0398

The Marine Museum in Quantico, Virginia- the building symbolizes the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.

Brian

There are hundreds of memorials on a walkway behind the Museum.

DSC_0383

The PC-Nikkor on the DF, framelines on, was quite easy to use. Perspective set to "normalize" the bronze plate.

Brian

"Staff Sergeant Reckless", an ammo supply horse bought in Korea- given a commission so the Marines could ship him home after the War. Had a long and happy life on a Marine Base in the US.

DSC_0377

You learn a lot that the History books leave out.

If you are ever in the Northern Virginia area, this Museum is well worth a Visit. Allocate some time to take a walk behind it, the memorials are beautiful- and all tell a story.

DSC_0363

PC-Nikkor 35/2.8.

Last edited: