NIkon 1 V1 Slow Motion Help

GolferDiba

HI there Guys

Just wondering if there is someone who could maybe give me some tips for using my V1.

So I am a professional golfer and have been guided into buying myself a V1 as im told that it has the highest fps on the market or at least sufficient for what im trying to achieve.

Im trying to get my golf swing in the 1200 fps mode but im running into 2 problems.

1. the only way i can fit my golf swing in is with someone videoing me from a good few meters back and holding the camera sideways.
2. when I import the video into ViewNX2 i cannot rotate the video and second the image seems to be distorted.

the problem with normal cameras is that it because im swinging the club around the 120mph range, they dont tend to pick up all frames and i cannot seethe exact angles of the club which are important to me.

help will be greatly appreciated.

PapaST

First thing I would do is check out YouTube. I found a couple of golf swing videos with the V1 (or J3) at 400fps. You can probably gather some tips there as to how they accomplished their videos. I think some of the limitations you'll run into are the higher frame rates take lower res images so the golf club could get washed out. I'd try 400fps like this video to see if that helps the resolution.

James Quinlivan Golf Swing DTL at 400FPS - YouTube

Also, the 1200fps might be limited to 10 seconds or so. You might see if you can get a remote and tripod. I'd play around with different lenses to see if you can get the camera closer to you.

GolferDiba

well i got it with the 10 - 30 lens and the 30 -110. you think the 30-110 will be better?

the link you provided also seems a bit distorted to me? but it does look marginally better than my video

maybe i should look into getting the adapter to use my fathers nikon lenses. He has a D7000

PapaST

I think sunlight and the angle of the sunlight will play a big part on how well the videos turn out. I'm not sure which lens would work better but I would play around with both to see which one you could get in tighter to the shot.

Here's one thing you're fighting against. At 1200fps you're only shooting at a res of 320 x 120. That's pretty tiny. At 400fps you're shooting at 640x240, that's a little better but really still limited depending on what you plan to do with it. I'm guessing what you're calling "distortion" is due to the tiny resolution.

If you can post up one of your videos and explain what you're trying to accomplish or what you're trying to avoid it might help out. Sorry I'm not much help... I'm not a pro golfer or a videographer.

Last edited:

PapaST

Okay, that helps a bunch. I think one issue is we're caught up on the frames per second. Without a doubt 1200fps is MUCH slower than the fps the Canon is shooting. But to get such a high rate you're really sacrificing on quality. On your video you see the moire on the club and overall sharpness is way down. Assuming the Canon that shot Els (which happens to be my favorite swing in all of golf) is on par with the V1 that you're using, I'm willing to bet he has a lower frame rate to keep more quality. I'd try to shoot lower frame rate (all the way from 420fps to no less that 60fps) and then use a program to slow it down. What are you processing your videos with? There are programs out there that can decelerate motion.

GolferDiba

I have no clue on what program to use. i would have thought that I could do it with the Nikon software? ViewNX2 or short movie editor? but i dont know how to use them

PapaST

I don't do a lot of video work and whatever I do is with iMovie on a Mac. I'm willing to bet most programs have some sort of tool that allows you to change the speeds by 1 or 1.5 or 2 times.

GolferDiba

OK so I managed to find the Nikon distributors here in South Africa and booked myself a lesson with the guys which I did today so here is what we found out.

They had already had a coach inquiring about the V1 so it was good timing for them to come outside and try videoing me swinging a club testing the camera for this purpose as well.

So to film in the slow motion option is pretty useless if your looking for a clear slow motion video. You will be able to get the action but not able to get it in high resolution. either 400fps or 1200 fps

The next option is to set the camera to 1080p 60(i). this will take 60 frames per second.
you can then play around with the shutter speed.
(ive tried using the 125 per second and the 16000 per second but neither were quite what I was looking for. either the club head disappears or the frames are too far apart.)

The Nikon guy who was helping me suggested that I try with the 250, 500 and 800 shutter speeds and he reckons that I would find what im looking for somewhere there.

the aperture settings dont really matter because im filming outside and well its generally pretty sunny here in south africa this time of year.

once ive tried those settings i will add more videos to my youtube and post them here for people to see what has come out.

hope this will help someone else too :)

Lawrence

HI there Guys

Just wondering if there is someone who could maybe give me some tips for using my V1.

So I am a professional golfer and have been guided into buying myself a V1 as im told that it has the highest fps on the market or at least sufficient for what im trying to achieve.

Im trying to get my golf swing in the 1200 fps mode but im running into 2 problems.

1. the only way i can fit my golf swing in is with someone videoing me from a good few meters back and holding the camera sideways.
2. when I import the video into ViewNX2 i cannot rotate the video and second the image seems to be distorted.

the problem with normal cameras is that it because im swinging the club around the 120mph range, they dont tend to pick up all frames and i cannot seethe exact angles of the club which are important to me.

help will be greatly appreciated.

You may want to try a camera specifically designed for golf swing analysis. I did and landed up buying a Casio Exilim EX-FC200S

Do some research on it and I think you will find it is perfect for what you want.
In addition it is a great point and shoot and has an HDR feature which I have yet to try.

Hope that helps.

Lawrence

GolferDiba

i googled it and that was the first link i clicked on. lol

do you think you could stick a video that you have taken up on youtube and post us the link so i can see?