feedback from Tamron 17-35 owners please

rocketman122

surprised why they havent revamped this lens. FF is strong and there would be a HUGE demand for it IMO. only options are the nikon 16-35/17-35/14-24/18-35 , sigma 17-35 and tokina 16-28. if they launched a new one(2.8 throughout or even 2.8-4 is fine) with a silent motor for $550 or so, it would sell out. I do own this lens. but just wondering what others think. I dont shoot it open. usually between 4.5-5.6.

would love to hear peoples opinions. pluses, minuses. Its new for me, but autofocus is fast. seems contrasty. better than the garbage sigma 17-35 I owned years back. man that thing was so soft no matter how much you stopped it down. HSM or not. why wide angle lenses have these ugly lens hoods, I dont know. meh. I hate WA altogether but its necessary at times.

my friend has the nikon 17-35 and ive shot with it and have edited those pics and from what I saw, it lacked contrast. dont know the reason why. were shooting a wedding today so will take it for another spin and then shoot with the tamron and see the differences. not an exact science but I need to test it in real world situations, not by shooting brick walls. cheers.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
surprised why they havent revamped this lens. FF is strong and there would be a HUGE demand for it IMO. only options are the nikon 16-35/17-35/14-24/18-35 , sigma 17-35 and tokina 16-28. if they launched a new one(2.8 throughout or even 2.8-4 is fine) with a silent motor for $550 or so, it would sell out. I do own this lens. but just wondering what others think. I dont shoot it open. usually between 4.5-5.6.

would love to hear peoples opinions. pluses, minuses. Its new for me, but autofocus is fast. seems contrasty. better than the garbage sigma 17-35 I owned years back. man that thing was so soft no matter how much you stopped it down. HSM or not. why wide angle lenses have these ugly lens hoods, I dont know. meh. I hate WA altogether but its necessary at times.

my friend has the nikon 17-35 and ive shot with it and have edited those pics and from what I saw, it lacked contrast. dont know the reason why. were shooting a wedding today so will take it for another spin and then shoot with the tamron and see the differences. not an exact science but I need to test it in real world situations, not by shooting brick walls. cheers.

I have the Nikon 16-35 and would be interested to see the differences you get with the two lenses you mentioned. If you could post 2 pics taken by these 2, It sure would be of interest. Of course with you opinion.

rocketman122

I have the Nikon 16-35 and would be interested to see the differences you get with the two lenses you mentioned. If you could post 2 pics taken by these 2, It sure would be of interest. Of course with you opinion.

We had such a crappy wedding. tight chuppa. so desne with people. bride drove me crazy for the formals. "why do you need these umbrellas for pictures?" and "why are we standing over here?" a true bridezilla. very spoiled. I was stressed like crazy. I completely forgot to try the nikon 17-35. the groom had tons of friends from the army and they were barbaric. all jumping together like those tribes in africa. a very difficult wedding. we got nice pictures but not the level we would have liked. inside we dont feel like we completed it like we wanted. but under the circumstances we did what we could. itll have to wait till my next shoot.

480sparky

I purchased one before I got into FX..... I wanted to have glass before I got the body.

It surprised me how well it performed overall. True, it's not as good as my current Nikkor 17-35 or the 14-24, but it's well worth the price for what it can do.

Wide-open, especially at the wide end, yes... the corners are quite soft. But for the price.......

rocketman122

I purchased one before I got into FX..... I wanted to have glass before I got the body.

It surprised me how well it performed overall. True, it's not as good as my current Nikkor 17-35 or the 14-24, but it's well worth the price for what it can do.

Wide-open, especially at the wide end, yes... the corners are quite soft. But for the price.......

I dont shoot wide open with it but god I hate WA lenses. im looking through the dance floor pics and jeez just disgusting. I was shooting at 4.5/5