Bought myself a New D5300

ScottinNJ

image.jpgI was so impressed when I bought my new Nikon Coolpix 950 some years ago that I thought I would treat myself to a new DSLR. I was pretty sure Nikon was the way to go and I am very happy with my new D5300. I have been shooting in RAW in Auto mode. I'll try to post some "first pictures" later. Scott

Last edited:

hrvojexyz

Ill use this topic, since it is how I would name it :))

So, d5300 is here , the fun starts .. I have already ordered additional battery ( battery life is cca 150shots in real life, dont be fooled by this CIPA standard) , lens cap with a wire (I cant believe manufacturer didnt provide that kind of hood, I would have lost this one in few months), tripod and carry bag are on hold until soon.
I am using Verbatin 8gb class6 SD card, since my brand new Kingston 16gb class 10 doesnt work well with Nikon, so watch for that if you are potential buyer.

Questions - I am working in M and P mode, which is the ... correct ISO value for indoors ? If I choose 100 or 200 it uses quite a long exposure, and photos are a bit blurry .. If I use higher ISO things are better .

Whats the best method to select focus , in both live view and viewfinder, at the moment I am using this arrows up down left and right, but its quite slow and now very elegant .. And I can only use it in live view?

Third, is it normal that camera struggles to find autofocus in live view, in less bright places, but through viewfinder it autofocuses fast?

here are some shots I have taken so far..

dsc0096.jpg

dsc0094.jpg

dsc0160.jpg

dsc0106.jpg

dsc0253.jpg

Last edited:

hrvojexyz

Photos are not ideal - I am still getting used to it - but I can start to see what I can squeeze out of this camera.

And yes , she is a cocker spaniel ..