Macro lenses

weebee

I really want to bump up my macro abilities and occasional portraits. I'm looking at a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor
I like this one a lot. Or, should I get a 50mm prime instead? I know this question is open to conjecture. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks![h=1][/h]

Jonathan

I'm afraid I have no thoughts. You can tell that from my current macro property:

40mm macro lens
85mm macro lens
Olympus 10x TC
Kenko 2x TC
Polaroid extension tubes
Other stuff, including focus stacking software

More money than sense, me, but I'm hoping it'll all come together before the wife finds me out!

Moab Man

The 35 and 50 are not macro lenses.

Nikon has a 40, 60, & 105mm. The longer the focal length the more room you will allow for not spooking your subject and possibly casting shadows. Since you also mention portraits I would point you towards the 105mm.

Side not, you should add your camera in to the system or in your signature. Not sure what you're shooting.

weebee

The write on this stated macro. So I wasn't sure I didn't believe it to be a true macro. I don't understand why my camera info isn't in my sig. I added it. I have a D3100

Moab Man

The 40mm is a really great macro and inexpensive ~$276. Each one gets progressively more expensive. It is nice to have that distance away from your subject. I shoot with both the 40 and a 90mm Tamron. If you can't really afford more don't think the 40mm will hold you back. It just takes more effort.

weebee

Maybe this? I'm leaning towards a more all purpose lenses for close in and wildlife. [h=1]Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II B.I.M.[/h]

Old Deep Sea Diver

I have to disagree with the comment of a 50mm (I use the 1.8 - $100 bucks new) is not a macro lens, I constanty play with mine reveresed using a nikon BR2A reversing ring. I have a Nikon 200mm f/4 ED-IF AF Micro Telephoto Nikkor lens , and on a D800E - you get amazing results, but use my 50mm 1.8 on the same body reversed to get some stunning pictures as well. It's a great way to use old lenses , garage sale lenses, and junk bin ones to make excellent macro shots on a shoestring budget :) BUT - buy a BR2A ring, which can be used as a BR2 ring as well, if you use a BR2 on your nikon, you will destroy the electrical contacts, and don't get an offmake on the ring, the one from nikon is only 50 bucks new

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Rick M

I have to disagree with the comment of a 50mm (I use the 1.8 - $100 bucks new) is not a macro lens

I'll guess that the contributors were referring to the traditional as well as the intended use of the lens. Can you post some results/examples? Some folks here might be interested in a more descriptive tutorial if you are so inclined. Welcome aboard! :)

DraganDL

"macro...and occasional portraits. I'm looking at a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor". Not recommendable for any of the two. At least Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX is needed here... http://goo.gl/UyjT7f

Last edited:

WayneF

Here is a list of some Macro. You just need to pick through and find the Nikon applicable lenses.

26 Top Macro Lenses: A Quick Guide from Adorama Learning Center

Here is a much more useful guide to specific macro lenses for Nikon

Macro lens calculations

It could be sorted better, and is a bit techie perhaps, you will have to pay attention, but it shows working distance of each of many lenses.

Working Distance (WD) at the R reproduction ratio (typically 1:1) is the distance from the front of the lens to the subject. This distance is of great interest to macro photography.

The lens spec only shows Minimum Focus Distance, which is measured to the rear of the camera (specifically to the focal plane mark near rear of top LCD).

For example, the 40mm Nikon Macro WD is 52.5mm, or about two inches. Saying, the bug is 2 inches in front of the lens. This means that very close distance may scare the bug, and the lens may block the light. A lens hood is out of the question.

The 105mm VR Nikon WD is 238 mm, or about 9 inches. Much better working distance in many cases, at least for 1:1 work.

However, for example in table top scenes, not 1:1, but instead the field of view is 12 or 18 inches wide, the 105 is telephoto and will have to stand back 7 or 8 feet, and not all rooms have that much space. The 40mm would be much better then.