Overcomming the low pass filter?

Dalton

Hello,

I am about to get my first DSLR and my decision for now is to go with the D3200 (with a used 16-85mm lens). So now there is the new option of the D3300. The most significant difference to me is that the D3300 is written about here:

Nikon D3200 vs. D3300 side by side comparison: which is better? - National Photography | Examiner.com

"First of all: the sensor. In theory, the lack of a low-pass filter should make the D3300 sharper right out of the box. However, by tweaking settings on the D3200, one can sharpen the images, too."

Does anyone know how to do this? I will rent the camera this weekend and tinker around with it.

nickt

Just download the manual. http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D3200_EN.pdf
Look for the section on picture controls. Note that for each mode you can choose, they can each be further customized individually. So if you sharpen one, it does not apply to another mode. And these only apply to jpg, not raw. I have no idea how sharpening might compare to the absence of a LP filter in the d3300 though.

Brian

Digital sharpening is typically done numerically by looking for edges and boosting the values of the pixels on each side.

If you are concerned about sharpness to that level of detail: wait for the D3300 without the low-pass filter. Basically, the pixels in the camera are smaller- packed more densely and can "out-resolve" the lens in use. The lens essentially becomes the low-pass filter. If you rely on software sharpening, to get best results you will be spending more time on the computer on an image-by-image basis.

BackdoorArts

I'd never recommend upgrading from the D3200 to the D3300 as the differences are minimal at best. But if you're buying your first go with the D3300 if only for the sensor and image processing upgrades. Not worth trading up for, but with the changes and upgrades it's worth the little extra it runs.