professional photographer

Browncoat

I've read (from the New York Institute of Photography site) that their course at least, can be completed with a simple point-and-shoot camera. Though they do recommend a DSLR to get the most out of it. I would check the particular course you plan on enrolling in for more detailed info.

The Nikon D3000 is a sound entry-level DSLR that won't break the bank.

I think it depends a lot on your budget. You could certainly buy a lesser camera body and have a lot of $ left for some nice lenses.

Agreed - when I sold a website I founded, I had about $7,000 budgeted for gear. I could have (at the time) bought the D3, but it wouldn't have left me money for good lenses.
I purchased the D300 (D700 wasn't out yet), 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, 50mm f/1.8 lens, 35mm f/1.8 lens, SB-800 flash unit, and still had money left over. I'm very thankful I went that route.

Snap Happy

Agreed - when I sold a website I founded, I had about $7,000 budgeted for gear. I could have (at the time) bought the D3, but it wouldn't have left me money for good lenses.
I purchased the D300 (D700 wasn't out yet), 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, 50mm f/1.8 lens, 35mm f/1.8 lens, SB-800 flash unit, and still had money left over. I'm very thankful I went that route.

Very sensible of you. Work within your budget. You got good glass, later you can get a more expensive body.

Very sensible of you. Work within your budget. You got good glass, later you can get a more expensive body.

I'm actually pretty happy with the D300 body. I'm going to keep it for a while, and probably pass it down to my wife (she's a D80 shooter) when/if I upgrade to the D700.
The good news is she can use all the DX lens collection I have, the bad news is that the vast majority of my lenses are DX format, so the FF camera can use them only in 5MP (sucks) DX mode.