Reusing Attached Images

BackdoorArts

Guys,

Not for nothing, I love you and appreciate this forum being here, but the way this forum works (or I should say doesn't work) with the reuse of attached images is mind numbing.

Feel free to delete the Tutorial I attempted to post that finally ended up as a semi-sarcastic reference to the blog I was trying to copy in. I spend easily 30-40 minutes trying to reproduce this blog without getting an attachment link instead of the actual attachment. The only way I can possible make it work so that the attachment displays inline instead of as a blob at the bottom is if I do them one at a time, which is an ungodly PITA when they're buried 12 pages of attachments in. Try 2 attachments and one displays inline, the other goes to the bottom, which I then need to delete in the Manage Attachments dialogue (again) one at a time with the handy "Are you sure" pop-up on each.

There's got to be a better way to set this up. It's maddening.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Sorry Jake - I know the attachment system is cumbersome sometimes. When you copy text you can't copy the "attach" tags directly. Those have to be inserted again using the "manage attachments", "Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them", then "Insert Inline".

Edit: I guess you figured that out... Let me see if I can find a better way...

Scott Murray

If the images are wrapped in a
then you should be able to copy that way right?

BackdoorArts

Sorry Jake - I know the attachment system is cumbersome sometimes. When you copy text you can't copy the "attach" tags directly. Those have to be inserted again using the "manage attachments", "Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them", then "Insert Inline".

Edit: I guess you figured that out... Let me see if I can find a better way...

Yeah, I get that. The PITA is that when I drag more than 1 file at a time into the the upload area and then click "Insert Inline", only one really gets inserted inline and the rest just sit in the Attachment Box. So to make it work (and I have almost a dozen photos) I need to go through the entire Manage Attachment process one at a time, which to me is insane.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I get that. The PITA is that when I drag more than 1 file at a time into the the upload area and then click "Insert Inline", only one really gets inserted inline and the rest just sit in the Attachment Box. So to make it work (and I have almost a dozen photos) I need to go through the entire Manage Attachment process one at a time, which to me is insane.

Jake, I agree with you for the PITA part. What I found is that even after dragging the files into the area into the "attach in line" area, you still have to check a little box to make sure they do attach. Once they are inserted in the actual "post/blog", I go to the "advanced area" where you can cut and copy between the text that is already there. It's a patience builder but eventually works. But sometimes doesn't...

BackdoorArts

Jake, I agree with you for the PITA part. What I found is that even after dragging the files into the area into the "attach in line" area, you still have to check a little box to make sure they do attach. Once they are inserted in the actual "post/blog", I go to the "advanced area" where you can cut and copy between the text that is already there. It's a patience builder but eventually works. But sometimes doesn't...

Marcel, are talking about cutting and copying text or the photos? I'm more than fine with the text part, but what I don't understand is how to take a photo that has not really inserted "in line" but is instead in the attachment area and get it to show up where I want it placed between paragraphs. If there's a way to do that then I have no problem cutting and pasting.

(...wait 15 minutes as I wrack my brain...)

Oh holy crap. So even if I check the boxes in upper box before I drag it into the lower box and click "Insert Inline" I have to go back and recheck the box to actually to get it to insert anything other than the first photo inline?! In other words, I have to do each image one at a time?! As my grandmother used to say, "Oy!!"

Well, at least I don't have to go back and find them every time.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel, are talking about cutting and copying text or the photos? I'm more than fine with the text part, but what I don't understand is how to take a photo that has not really inserted "in line" but is instead in the attachment area and get it to show up where I want it placed between paragraphs. If there's a way to do that then I have no problem cutting and pasting.

(...wait 15 minutes as I wrack my brain...)

Oh holy crap. So even if I check the boxes in upper box before I drag it into the lower box and click "Insert Inline" I have to go back and recheck the box to actually to get it to insert anything other than the first photo inline?! In other words, I have to do each image one at a time?! As my grandmother used to say, "Oy!!"

Well, at least I don't have to go back and find them every time.

Yes, I think so. Thing is you can pretty well upload all the images in one blurb, then go to the "go advanced" button, and, in the advanced window that opens below your post, you can cut and paste the pictures between your text paragraphs. It's slow, but it looks like it's all we've got for now. I have the same problem when I want to post the Assignment winnings shots to announce the winners.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
When you drag them down they are no automatically checked? Safari?

Attachments

• Nikon-D3300-DSLR-camera-top.jpg
    Nikon-D3300-DSLR-camera-top.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 294