Better B&W Conversion Using Multiple Hue/Saturation Layers in Photoshop & Elements

BackdoorArts

Better B&W Conversion Using Multiple Hue/Saturation Layers in Photoshop & Elements

It was requested that I republish a blog I did on using Hue & Saturations Layers in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to do more realistic Black & White conversions (i.e. not just desaturating) without using software like Silver Efex Pro 2.

It would seem that reusing previously attached photos and getting them to display properly is a mindnumbingly difficult labyrinth to navigate, so until I have an hour or two to do so please feel free to visit the blog at the link below. When I figure it out, this text will go away.

http://nikonites.com/blogs/backdoor...-layers-photoshop-elements.html#axzz2puZjfMKK

Mfrankfort

Re: Better B&W Conversion Using Multiple Hue/Saturation Layers in Photoshop & Element

lol. Can't beat black and white in photoshop. Even though there are about 200 ways to do it. I like the B&W adjustment layer personally, but have watched many video's on multiple other ways.

Mike D90

Re: Better B&W Conversion Using Multiple Hue/Saturation Layers in Photoshop & Element

lol. Can't beat black and white in photoshop. Even though there are about 200 ways to do it. I like the B&W adjustment layer personally, but have watched many video's on multiple other ways.

You can kind of do the same thing in Lightroom using the HSL sliders except of course you have no layers to play with.

Mfrankfort

Ya. I've done some B&W in there, and then I got photoshop. lol. It's pretty simple in both, oddly enough. Get a little more control in photoshop, but thats expected for 100000 times the price. haha

BackdoorArts

Mods?! I thought you guys were going to delete this? There's a full blown thread right here with all the details I couldn't get in this one. No reason to have both.

BackdoorArts

That said, the better LR method is to go into B&W mode and use the sliders there. Practically the same thing, but a heck of a lot easier, you get immediate feedback, and it's possible to maintain both B&W and color versions provided you don't mess with the Basic adjustment section.