Tripod help!!!

Dgriffin

Ok folks, I've quickly come to the conclusion that I really need(want) a tripod. Now I'd like to be able to pick something up for under a hundred bucks. I don't know if this is a realistic price. I'm not really sure what to look for in a tripod either. I hope this isn't in the wrong section of the forums but I couldn't find a section for accessories.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Ok folks, I've quickly come to the conclusion that I really need(want) a tripod. Now I'd like to be able to pick something up for under a hundred bucks. I don't know if this is a realistic price. I'm not really sure what to look for in a tripod either. I hope this isn't in the wrong section of the forums but I couldn't find a section for accessories.

Aside from the price, you need to consider your height and how tall you want the tripod without extending the center column. I will skip my recommendations since the once that I will recommend are much more expensive. I cannot vouch for the quality on the cheaper tripods. I bought a Cabelas carbon fiber tripod for $150 and I hated it with passion. The ball head sags and when positioning my camera in portrait mode, the cork thing just couldn't keep the camera steady.

Good luck on your selection.

Roy1961

Contributor
i bought 2 cheepies before i got my vanguard alta pro, cost $150, fits my needs perfect, i have used this more since xmas than the other two put together, my advice is do you homework on it, read lots of reviews

480sparky

My best advice is this:

Imagine buying cameras & lenses with no concern for what they cost. What would you buy if money was no object? Now, out of that dream set-up, what's the heaviest body/lens combo that you plan on putting on a tripod?

Figure up that weight, and buy a tripod that will support that lens, camera & your preference for a head. You now have a tripod & head that you will only need to replace if you break it.

wev

Contributor
Wait a little longer, save a little more: buy the alta pro -- the stingy man always pays twice.

weebee

I was looking at the alta pro. But went with this one instead. 3Pod P5CRH 5-Section Aluminumn Compact Reversable Tripod with K3 BallHead P5ARH

So far I'm really liking it. The ball head operates very smooth and the reverse feature is great. Not terribly heavy and folds up small enough for travel. Built very sturdy.

DSCN0194.jpg
DSCN0195.jpg
DSCN0197.jpg

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

Are you willing to buy a used tripod? If so, ask what tripods are in use here and whether they're heavy duty and what the owners think of them. Then pick the one with good references here and look on Craigslist and ebay.

My tripod cost about $100 30-35 years ago. An equivalent today would cost over $300, easy, if new.

WM

Bigsage136

Are you willing to buy a used tripod? If so, ask what tripods are in use here and whether they're heavy duty and what the owners think of them. Then pick the one with good references here and look on Craigslist and ebay.

My tripod cost about $100 30-35 years ago. An equivalent today would cost over $300, easy, if new.

WM

Not a bad suggestion at all :eagerness: In fact I think I will take a look myself. I'm on tripod number 4.

Whiskeyman

If I can repair the leg clasps on my Bogen (mnfg by Manfrotto) 3020, I plan to buy a new tripod head for it, either a geared head or a fluid video head, or both. The geared head is useful for macro shots which require precise positioning and the fluid video head allows fast tracking of some sports.

If I can do that, it will be the only full-size tripod I'll likely ever need.

WM

Dgriffin

Thanks guys, I do like the alta pro and the one you bought weebee. I'll probably just fork out a few more dollars and get one of those. I think I might keep my eye on Craigslist and ebay too.

weebee

Whichever way you go just try to get one that has a removable ball head or whatever the camera mounts to so you can just upgrade that part later if you want. It will save some $$ down the road. You don't want this to happen

DSC_1416.jpg

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
i was too Rick, 1st tripod was a targus from target $30, sold it 1/2 price, bought a sunpac from best buy $50, might sell it or just use it for my camcorder, now got the alta pro, used it more than the other two put together, loving it, plan to have this for a while, all 3 tripods would be in the space of about 12-16 months.

fotojack

Use your old tripods as light stands or flash holders....be creative...think outside the box. I'm sure you can come up with something to re-purpose those old tripods. :)

Flugelbinder

Use your old tripods as light stands or flash holders....be creative...think outside the box. I'm sure you can come up with something to re-purpose those old tripods. :)

The problema with using them as light stands is the height. A light stand should go much higher than 6 or 7 feet...

Whiskeyman

I was looking at the alta pro. But went with this one instead. 3Pod P5CRH 5-Section Aluminumn Compact Reversable Tripod with K3 BallHead P5ARH

So far I'm really liking it. The ball head operates very smooth and the reverse feature is great. Not terribly heavy and folds up small enough for travel. Built very sturdy.

View attachment 65988

You will want to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod, weebee.

Of course. It all depends on what kind of photography you're doing. It seems I'm always thinking about portraiture... :)

Even in portraiture, you can use a short light stand for a backlight; i.e., to illuminate a backdrop.

WM

weebee

You will want to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod, weebee.

Even in portraiture, you can use a short light stand for a backlight; i.e., to illuminate a backdrop.

WM

Yup, I do. I just put it on the tripod to take a picture of it. Thanks though.