Do I need a!?

Scott Murray

Do I need a 70-200 2.8 for this wedding I am doing in Feb? Its a beach wedding/out door wedding. I will be doing a few dance photos indoors etc aswell.

My lenses are:

16-35mm f4
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.4
80-400VR (old)
90mm Macro

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Since you have two FX bodies already and assuming that you might be using flash to eliminate any shadows outdoor, I would highly suggest yes in order to have some distance from the ceremony and not to be so intrusive if you shoot too close.

I would say Yes on the 70-200mm f2.8 lens and possibly the 16-35mm f4 but limit it between 24-35mm when taking group shots. This will minimize distortion on their faces. 35mm is actually pretty good on that lens.

BackdoorArts

No. But truthfully, I'd think about a 24-70mm of sorts or even a 24-120mm f/4 to cover all those gaps between the 35mm and the 80mm on your other zooms. Primes are nice, but you're either going to be swapping cameras in a hurry between primes on the D800 and D600, or switching lenses when you wish you were shooting. Rent one if you don't see a need to own it.

grandpaw

I have a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR and it is one of my favorite lenses. In my opinion you just can't go wrong with this lens. As far as the wedding, will it be late in the day? If it rains will the ceremony be moved inside? Just a few things to think about. I might add that I also have the Nikon 20E III 2x teleconverter which bumps this up to 400mm at F5.6 for a minimal cost.

Scott Murray

I have a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR and it is one of my favorite lenses. In my opinion you just can't go wrong with this lens. As far as the wedding, will it be late in the day? If it rains will the ceremony be moved inside? Just a few things to think about. I might add that I also have the Nikon 20E III 2x teleconverter which bumps this up to 400mm at F5.6 for a minimal cost.
Its Western Australia in summer, it wont rain ;-). But yes I think its around 4pm'ish.

grandpaw

Its Western Australia in summer, it wont rain ;-). But yes I think its around 4pm'ish.

If it starts at 4:00pm will the reception follow on the beach, if so its getting late in the day. It may be a good idea to take a trip down there at that time of day and see what meter readings will get the job done. This way it will let you know just what you will need.

Scott Murray

If it starts at 4:00pm will the reception follow on the beach, if so its getting late in the day. It may be a good idea to take a trip down there at that time of day and see what meter readings will get the job done. This way it will let you know just what you will need.
Reception is elsewhere and in a lit room (offers its own problems). I think it gets dark around 7pm in Feb but will check the times.

Ruidoso Bill

24-70 on the D800 (most of your shots), 70-200 non the D600 for the distance. That would be the perfect combination in my opinion. My experience except for posed shots is weddings do not allow much time for changing out primes.

Whiskeyman

That's great advice. You may find that you "need" the Nikkor 200 mm f 2.0! (You can zoom in and out with your feet.) :cool:

WM

rocketman122

Again? dude youre set. if anything get a 24/28-70 which will be the bulk of your work. I work with a belt on me. 2 pouches. in your setup, I would have the 16-35 on one camera and either the 50 or 85 on the other and switch between them as you need to. if youre right there in the middle, you dont need a 70-200 80-400. if you have room to move around and work then why not use the sharpest lenses? just use the 50 and 85 and walk as you need to compose. dancing, use the 16-35. if people want a portrait with a friend, grab the 50/85 off your other shoulder. what are you going to do with the 70-200 in that situation? youll have to step back at least 6' from them! with the 50/85 only 3 feet and you can shoot at 85 and get an aesthetically pleasing shot compared to the zoom at only 70. plus the VF is sharper and will help you in low light. dude dont think for a second any 70-200 can do a better portrait than an 85mm prime. no way in hell. the bokeh and creaminess is unparallelled! you will only stress yourself with the 70-200 because you will have no place to move at times. the 50 and 85 are light and easy to switch between on the fly. besides the ceremony where I need convenience and flexibility I must use my 70-200 (80-400 would be just fine) but other than that it sits in the bag and prefer IQ over convenience. I purposely use primes for the amazing images it renders compared to any zoom.maybe the 14-24 ;)

if I could shoot the whole wedding and had enough space to shoot. Id use 4 lenses. itd be a 24, 50, 85, 105. thats it! oh and a fisheye for unique pictures. primes just give a different level of quality and feel to the pics. its like no zoom. 50 for 2-5 people half bodies. and 85 and 105 for sniping and couple shots. dude the 80-400 is fine. bump up the iso if you need to and get a mid range zoom. you have the WA and the long tele. but no midrange. and since you arent so experienced in weddings and need as less stress as possible a midrange will help with that. most times youre not so far from people that you need a 70-200. heard some fantastic stuff about the tamron. I started with the sigma 70-200 HSM APO ist gen then jumped to the 80-200 AFS man what a lens! im not connecting with my 70-200VR1 like I did with my 80-200AFS :( but I said my piece. what rote you choose is your business. may the force be with you.

crap! indoor reception? wow that sucks. I though it would be outdoors on the beach. you could have done some kick ass stuff. sunsets with silhouettes. wow. my mind is racing full throttle fantasizing what I would do.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
24-70 on the D800 (most of your shots), 70-200 non the D600 for the distance. That would be the perfect combination in my opinion. My experience except for posed shots is weddings do not allow much time for changing out primes.

Scott - if you can come up with the funds, Bill's suggestion is what I would go for. I didn't suggested the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 since you will be shooting outdoor with good light and your 16-35mm f4 can be used for group shots. If you can come up with both lenses, even better.

I would practice using two cameras so that you can get used to it.

Double Trouble by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Scott Murray

Again? dude youre set. if anything get a 24/28-70 which will be the bulk of your work. I work with a belt on me. 2 pouches. in your setup, I would have the 16-35 on one camera and either the 50 or 85 on the other and switch between them as you need to. if youre right there in the middle, you dont need a 70-200 80-400. if you have room to move around and work then why not use the sharpest lenses? just use the 50 and 85 and walk as you need to compose. dancing, use the 16-35. if people want a portrait with a friend, grab the 50/85 off your other shoulder. what are you going to do with the 70-200 in that situation? youll have to step back at least 6' from them! with the 50/85 only 3 feet and you can shoot at 85 and get an aesthetically pleasing shot compared to the zoom at only 70. plus the VF is sharper and will help you in low light. dude dont think for a second any 70-200 can do a better portrait than an 85mm prime. no way in hell. the bokeh and creaminess is unparallelled! you will only stress yourself with the 70-200 because you will have no place to move at times. the 50 and 85 are light and easy to switch between on the fly. besides the ceremony where I need convenience and flexibility I must use my 70-200 (80-400 would be just fine) but other than that it sits in the bag and prefer IQ over convenience. I purposely use primes for the amazing images it renders compared to any zoom.maybe the 14-24 ;)

if I could shoot the whole wedding and had enough space to shoot. Id use 4 lenses. itd be a 24, 50, 85, 105. thats it! oh and a fisheye for unique pictures. primes just give a different level of quality and feel to the pics. its like no zoom. 50 for 2-5 people half bodies. and 85 and 105 for sniping and couple shots. dude the 80-400 is fine. bump up the iso if you need to and get a mid range zoom. you have the WA and the long tele. but no midrange. and since you arent so experienced in weddings and need as less stress as possible a midrange will help with that. most times youre not so far from people that you need a 70-200. heard some fantastic stuff about the tamron. I started with the sigma 70-200 HSM APO ist gen then jumped to the 80-200 AFS man what a lens! im not connecting with my 70-200VR1 like I did with my 80-200AFS :( but I said my piece. what rote you choose is your business. may the force be with you.

crap! indoor reception? wow that sucks. I though it would be outdoors on the beach. you could have done some kick ass stuff. sunsets with silhouettes. wow. my mind is racing full throttle fantasizing what I would do.
Yeah I think I will settle for what I have and cope from there. I am sure I can get the shots that they want with the lenses that I have. They are not after anything too fancy. Maybe a sunset one, a few B&W's, cake, ring, dancing, family and bridesmaids groomsmen. There will be no kids unfortunately but I think adults can be amusing at times aswell especially after a few alcoholic beverages. My mind is just wandering with what I will do.

rocketman122

Yeah I think I will settle for what I have and cope from there. I am sure I can get the shots that they want with the lenses that I have. They are not after anything too fancy. Maybe a sunset one, a few B&W's, cake, ring, dancing, family and bridesmaids groomsmen. There will be no kids unfortunately but I think adults can be amusing at times aswell especially after a few alcoholic beverages. My mind is just wandering with what I will do.

you should get from 17-200. youre fine till the 35mm on wide. then you have a 50 and 85 and then the 80-400 to continue. the middle is the chunk thats missing. or not IMO. dont forget the primes jump from 35 to 50 then 85 then 105 and the 105 is covered from the 80-400. I think youre gear is fine. you have the 16-35 on one camera and have the 50/85 on the other or on you at all times. mostly have the 50 and when you need to do some portraits, take the few seconds and switch to the 85mm and do those and switch back. the 80-400 is just fine if you need to snipe from far away but the flash indoors can only go so far so if youre far away then you might miss it from blur and the flash not getting there. with the 85 you can shoot amazing stuff. I dont think youre missing anything. I would be happy shooting a wedding with what you have. if youre stressed carry the 50 with you and have both cameras with a 16-35 on one and the other with the 80-400. my friend shoots with the 70-200 and 17-35 AFS at the ceremony. I have the 70-200 and 28-70 and I have in my pouches a 17-35 and a fisheye and switch when I need for a shot or two. I hate WA and only do a few FE pictures. even if you have the 85 on the other camera, all you do is take one step back and shoot. if someone comes up to you "can you take our picture please" you have to walk back some more to frame them properly because of the minimum focus distance. MY 105VR solves that because I can get a super tight shot of 2-3 people and dont have to worry about it not even focusing because im too close. youre set bro. I told you. save your money and if you feel you really need it, then rent the midrange lens. invest in flash if you need.