Granddaughter Portrait

gizmo285

67 views on my other photo and no responses so I guess I am not good enough to post here. Here is one other of my granddaughter shot with my Nikon d610 and cheapo 50mm 1.8 lens. Any criticisms???? Thanks.

Attachments

• KYLI.jpg
    KYLI.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 132

Pretzel

There is no "good enough", just posting. All of us are of varying skill levels... Many don't post as many of us have opinions, but none of us really want to discourage anyone at all. I for one, usually don't offer up much critique, as I'm just not at the level to consider myself worthy of offering advice when I still absorb advice so freely!

As for this posting, cute kid! Like the candid pose, but it feels a bit overexposed, or "hot". Did you do any post processing?

Last edited:

Krs_2007

Yep, a little to hot. Cute candid shot as pretzel pointed out. It might be best to have a running photo thread. I would also study up on exposure and framing your subjects by utilizing rule of thirds. Something else to think about while framing your subject is watch how you cut off limbs.

This is my newbie attempt at a critique, so please don't take any of this wrong.

Something else to consider, what are your intentions here and what are you expecting to accomplish with your camera. Are just wanting better snap shots or are you wanting to go pro?

Last edited:

weebee

Not a bad picture. It is over cooked a tad. Compare with this. I didn't go overboard with it because I do like the highlights to some degree.

KYLI.jpg

Moab Man

Ditto, overexposed. I would have preferred the eyes not so dilated - kind of has a creepy feel for me. She needs to be a bit over to the left. It feels like she is uncomfortably bumping up against the right side of the frame.

Keep shooting.

Just-Clayton

OK! Here is my first critique. I usually don't only because, I feel I'm not up to this level yet.

1: Over exposed. This can be fixed in post processing.

2: If your going to get her arms and hands involved. Shoot her at a wider frame and crop the picture to be safe. This way her hands aren't floating in front of the body. I have learned to shoot wider for this reason. With a wider shot you can adjust, too close no fix.

3:I like the soft back ground. Sometimes people try to get the whole picture in focus and it draws away from the subject.

Don't get discouraged about anyone's critiques or lack of interest on your pictures. Like pretzel said there are different levels of photographers on here. Just keep practicing your shots. Go to the beginning of my time in this forum. You will see big difference from then and now.

gizmo285

Yep, a little to hot. Cute candid shot as pretzel pointed out. It might be best to have a running photo thread. I would also study up on exposure and framing your subjects by utilizing rule of thirds. Something else to think about while framing your subject is watch how you cut off limbs.

This is my newbie attempt at a critique, so please don't take any of this wrong.

Something else to consider, what are your intentions here and what are you expecting to accomplish with your camera. Are just wanting better snap shots or are you wanting to go pro?

I am just an amateur trying to take better pictures. I appreciate the feedback and your criticisms won't hurt my feelings. Thanks again.

Krs_2007

Cool. Most of us have a long running picture thread and that really helps out, so you might want to start one and you can watch yourself grow in that thread.

Look in the Project 365 & Daily Photos, start a new thread called my photo journey or something like that and then start posting. I found posting pictures this way was a lot easier than doing a single photo critique. But your choice, just wanted to throw that out there.

Keep clicking