"Thank You"

Rick M

This shot is of Onondaga Lake, near Syracuse NY. The lake is one of the most polluted in the country due to decades of dumping by Allied Chemical. Tons of by products from soda ash were dumped into the lake including about 25lbs of mercury per day. It is now in the middle of 15 year, $1 billion cleanup.

The shot was taken by my father in the 1970's during Allied's hay-day and has always been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the scan does not do it Justice.

Thank You.jpg

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga_Lake

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

Hopefully they get it cleaned up. I bet it's like the Detroit river, who knows whats floating down there... most likely needles, and bodies. lol

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This shot is of Onondaga Lake, near Syracuse NY. The lake is one of the most polluted in the country due to decades of dumping by Allied Chemical. Tons of by products from soda ash were dumped into the lake including about 25lbs of mercury per day. It is now in the middle of 15 year, $1 billion cleanup.

The shot was taken by my father in the 1970's during Allied's hay-day and has always been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the scan does not do it Justice.

For more information:

Onondaga Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for sharing the story behind it Rick.

It's funny that when I was living in Hawaii, I initially thought that "Mahalo" (Thank You) meant Trash since it was stenciled on all public trash bins.