Newbie in NC

N2MINI

Just got a picked up a D50 to play with. ( new to the DSLR stuff. Been unsing one of the aim an shoot cameras till now ) Has the standard AF 18-55 lens which looks to be manual only and also got a AF-S VR 55-200 which is auto or manual. Been reading my owners manual and hope take some pics soon of something laying around the house like the cats!!! as it is too cold to go outside... I'll be looking/reading around here and will ask questions if I can't find my answer on my own...

Bryan

N2MINI

Welcome to nikonites! The 18-55mm should be auto focus! I hope you'll have a blast with your new Nikon! :D

My camera has the M/AF switch of course and the lens doesn't. I was told from a Camera shop that if buying another lens it needed to be the AF-S type as it has the switch on the lens as well? I'm not sure if they told me wrong, or why one lens has it an the factory lens doesn't?

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites.

You say your 18-55 lens doesn't have an A/M switch on it? I'd like to see that!The 18-55 kit lens is an AF-S lens, and it does have a switch on it. It should also have a VR switch on it, too.
JT1_3562.jpg

N2MINI

maybe mine is not the original lens.. bought used of course.. 55-200 has all that but it was bought separetly from someone else..How is this going to effect me, and my learning process..
Why does the lens have a switch and the camera as well right there beside it?

Last edited:

fotojack

maybe mine is not the original lens.. bought used of course.. 55-200 has all that but it was bought separetly from someone else..

If it's an 18-55 kit lens, it has those switches. Are you absolutely positive your lens is an 18-55? Take a picture of it and post it here.

The camera in this shot is a D200, a motorized body, that can use AF lenses or Manual Focus lenses. The switch you see on the body is C for Constant focus, S for Single focus and M for Manual focus.

N2MINI

I'll take a pic of it this evening. ( Have to look at rules agin to see if I can post pics. )
The switch I was refering to is on my camera in the same place basicly as yours

Bill16

People may ask questions about what equipment you have to be able to help you when ask how to do something. Different lenses can have huge differences in abilities, and learning what you have and their capabilities is a big part in what technique may be recommended to help produce the results your hoping to get. :)
Since you bought your Nikon used, I'd highly recommend you download a manual for it if there wasn't one with it. A user manual can help a ton in explaining what your Nikon is able to do and what every button and switch is for. :)
maybe mine is not the original lens.. bought used of course.. 55-200 has all that but it was bought separetly from someone else..How is this going to effect me, and my learning process..

N2MINI

Did come with all the books/manuals etc. and have been reading over it. Just had a question on the lens since I now have 2 and one has a switch and one doesn't... Ironic thing is the book doesn't mention having to turn the switch on the lens to A or M, only the camera itself..