HDR Cable Mill in Cades Cove, Smokey Mountains NP

Joseph Bautsch

I have another photo contest coming up with my photo club and this is one of three shots I'm thinking of entering. The theme is "Vanishing America". It's a three shot bracket HDR. The EXIF data is: D90, Lens 18-105mm Nikkor, Focal Length 18mm, f/8, Shutter Speed 1/8 sec., White Balance Sunny, Aperture Priority, Adobe RGB, CPL Filter, Photomatix HDR, Aperture 3 Post Processing. Tripod Mounted.

_dsc4198.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Really, really nice image technically. I would never have guessed that it was HDR!!! I'm very impressed.

Artistically, it strikes me as too "centered". Honestly, I would have taken the same image to try to draw the eye along the walk way. Wish I could be more help.

Joseph Bautsch

Eduard, you'er right about it being too centered. I walked around the area for about 30 minutes looking for a better angle to no avail. I finally chose this view because it was the best available. It's the same one that is used on the posters and cards in the gift shop. I really didn't want to use the same shot but if I wanted a good shot of the mill what you see is what you get. The mill is in the shade so there is no high tonal range between shadows and highlights to create the classic HDR everybody expects. I used HDR to bring out the details of the old wood structure. I also was looking for a photo and not the over saturated intense color you see in a lot of HDR shots. In fact if I saturated it any more it would turn into something very garish and not pleasing at all. I probably should have shot two stops under rather than one, because there still are shadows that have no detail. But that is a correction for another trip.

Ruidoso Bill

I think it is an amazing shot, the walk way does draw my eye into the image. To my eye the dominance of the water wheel balance the shot. Thanks Joseph for sharing it with us.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My other thought is that I wish you had a 12 foot ladder. I wonder how it the image would turn out from a higher angle? Maybe climb a tree Joseph? LOL

ohkphoto

Snow White
I do like this shot, Joseph. Nice use of hdr. The word, "pleasing to the eye" comes to mind.
I think it's a winner. Good luck in the contest.

Best Regards

Joseph Bautsch

Vanishing America, I belong to the East Cobb County (GA) Seniors Photo Club. I joined it because it's not a bunch of old codgers with point and shoot cameras. Many of the members are retired professional photographers, graphic artists, and art teachers who now enjoy the art of photography for themselves. There is no relationship between us and the Cherokee Photography Club or their Vanishing America photo contest theme.

Eduard, I agree with your original opinion, the front of the mill and door are too centered and face off to the right and out of the shot. The walkway leading to the front off sets that effect to a large degree. You'er right ...lol... A twelve foot ladder set up more to the right would have been great but the logistics of getting it there would be a nightmare, and the park rangers would have..:(...frowned upon it. Their patience only goes so far.

Thanks guys for the kind comments. I'll use this one in the contest. I'll post number two tomorrow.