Refurbished Lenses

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm curious to know what's involved in "refurbishing a lens". Is it all taken apart and cleaned, or what else? When would you know if one of your lenses needed to be refurbished?

If there were not much difference in price, am I better off buying a "manufacturer (Nikon)refurbished" lens or a used lens from a seemingly reputable owner who claims the lens is in perfect working order? Part of me says that if it had to refurbished it must have been abused or seriously damaged in some way --kind of like buying a used car that was in a wreck. (...although I did buy a refurbished SB-900 and it works fine)

Would appreciate your thoughts or experiences in this.

Best Regards

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Though I have never purchased a refurbished lens, I have purchased many used ones. I wouldn't have any problem purchasing factory or manufacturer refurbished. Both my Macbook and ThinkPad are refurbished. Generally, refurbished means that a single component failed or the item was returned. Either way, reliable manufacturers run a series of tests on the equipment to ensure that they are operating to spec.

Joseph Bautsch

Helene, I agree with Eduard. If the lens is refurbished by Nikon you can just about consider it new. Nikon in fact sells their referbs with a new warranty. And there is usually a decent discount off the new price. The only problem with Nikon refurbished equipment is that they are usually out of stock. If you see one you want grab it quick because it won't be there long.

fotojack

Exactly what Eduard and Joseph said. Refurbished means brought back to original factory specs. I would not hesitate to buy a Nikon factory refurbished lens or anything else, for that matter. Who would you rather trust........the Nikon factory, or some person you don't really know and take them at their word for it? And as long as it comes with any kind of warranty, ya can't go wrong, right? :)

Ranie

Some refurbished (factory) items are also store demos. As long as its being refurbished by the maker, its as good as new with warranty.

Ruidoso Bill

You read my mind, Ranie. Evidently the ones bidding on the lens I want are not the "cheapskates" I was hoping they would be. . .drats!

I find that bidding is a waste of time that may increase the price, just watch it close and do your best and final in the last 30 seconds, press the button, pray and wait. I really try not to even bid until the end, just watch it. Anyway, that's my secret strategy.

Joseph Bautsch

Helene, Bill has a good strategy. If the bidding hasn't gone past what you are willing to pay, wait until the last 30 seconds to submit your best amount. Unfortunately it's rare to see Nikon referbs going on the cheep. You can usually do better price wise buying used from a reputable dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruidoso Bill

Buyers protection on ebay is amazing, if you aren't happy you have time to complain. I have seen sellers negotiate after the sale (reduce the price), I have done it as a seller. There really is no risk on used, just take the time to do your homework and carefully examine the item carefully. On lenses you start with scratches on the coating, then look for oil or fungus on the elements. Put it on the body and make sure the autofocus functions properly if so designed, make sure all the controls work on manual lenses. On ebay it is all about reputations, once damaged by a bad deal it is a mark not easily removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnwartjr

Nikon refurbs are sometimes overstocks or demos - possibly nothing is refurbished at all, they are just marked as refurbs and put in a plain box instead of the gold Nikon box.

I believe Nikon refurbs only carry a 90 day warranty, versus the 5 year warranty the new ones carry. Depending on what you're buying, that might be a factor. The one refurb lens I bought was a 55-200 VR lens with my old D60, and it was $125 for the lens - I figured for $125, I'd just buy another if anything happened to it. With a more expensive lens, I guess I'd have to think a little harder!