Wedding last summer

wud

Was looking for an image for another post and realized, I dont think I ever showed the church wedding I did last summer! Must have been overwhelmed with the huge amount of images. But here they are, inside the church I used the 35mm, outside church + most wedding portraits the 70-200mm.

My favorite part was when they came out, people were throwing rice, everybody were so happy!

lisbeth_bryllup_5758.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5765.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5827_web.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5863.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5842_web_1.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5866.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5925.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5877.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_5878.jpg

We did some portraits of the couple behind the church:

lisbeth_bryllup_6022.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_6053.jpg

Reception were on a boat, I did a lot of images like this:

lisbeth_bryllup_6137.jpg

Just a few portraits at this place too, and then it was goodbye and have a great party :)

lisbeth_bryllup_6279.jpg

lisbeth_bryllup_6313.jpg

rocketman122

Fantastic stuff. bravo.

Very nice :) I am thinking more and more that I need a 70-200 f/2.8 for my Feb wedding lol.

no, the 80-400 is fine. just bump the iso. I would be rocking that 85 1.4 and snipping people like nothing..dont shoot over 150mm with the 80-400. not necessary. but you may want to do a nice compressed sun/BG shot with it! that would be epic! give them the japan flag treatment!

Mai, very nice Images.. Hopefully the client was pleased...

Pat in NH

the photos are kick ass but clients are a PITA at times. even when you bring them amazing work, its never good enough. I gave my brothers sis in law her pictures. it was a family event 130 people but wanted to make sure and get as many pics as possible. shot 2000 pics. I filtered hard and gave only the best. some amazing pics. I dont get too excited by my work and I was smiling when looking through them. really some stellar work. so I filtered down to 750. the photos are nice, she says but do you have more? more? how many damn pics does someone need for a damn bat mitzvah with 130 people? im not a videographer. Im not supposed to document second by second. quantity over quality for some. 500 perfect pics is a lot but I gave her 750. 750 isnt enough? sheesh. some people.

wud

the photos are kick ass but clients are a PITA at times. even when you bring them amazing work, its never good enough. I gave my brothers sis in law her pictures. it was a family event 130 people but wanted to make sure and get as many pics as possible. shot 2000 pics. I filtered hard and gave only the best. some amazing pics. I dont get too excited by my work and I was smiling when looking through them. really some stellar work. so I filtered down to 750. the photos are nice, she says but do you have more? more? how many damn pics does someone need for a damn bat mitzvah with 130 people? im not a videographer. Im not supposed to document second by second. quantity over quality for some. 500 perfect pics is a lot but I gave her 750. 750 isnt enough? sheesh. some people.

750???? Omg. Thats.. so many. Next time, talk to your client FIRST, so you have an understanding about how many pictures you should deliver, +-.

I gave 30-35, as I remember. They were very happy :-D

rocketman122

750???? Omg. Thats.. so many. Next time, talk to your client FIRST, so you have an understanding about how many pictures you should deliver, +-.

I gave 30-35, as I remember. They were very happy :-D

I dont ask and I dont give a crap. my work is stellar. 750 is too much. even 500 is way too much. got some amazing pictures snipping people and kids. wow, so many kids. capturing them smiling, interacting, laughing, jumping around, beautiful expressions. I had so much fun shooting. no matter where I turned I found something to photograph. some "look to the camera" but most are PJ style. not bothering, interfering. stealth mode. Im all over and nowhere :)

35 pics..thats for a WHOLE wedding? When I did film, I was shooting 800 pics and I cut that to 350 pics. and that wasnt only me. its in the whole photography market here. people were shooting even more than me. each pic is perfect. family formals is at least 80 pictures. figure each person (brother sister grandpa etc) gets a head shot, half body and full body. and not talking about groups here which is more obviously. the more in the group, the more pictures I have to take to get a good picture. this one closed his eyes, looked that way, made a weird face, whatever. what do you shoot in 35 pictures? in the chuppa, I shoot a portrait of each parent and then groups and then the ceremony and even capturing "atmosphere" pictures and even I capture guests emotions (crying, smiling, I love to get closeups of the phones with what theyre shooting in the background). thats at least another 100 pics. then dancing at least 250 pics, and BG pics are at least 150 pics. 35 pics..? wow, I have so much I can photograph. everywhere I looked there was something to photograph. its not like you put me in a room with nothing inside. my mind is racing trying to be creative I cant stop. holy cow, I would be sued if I gave 35 pictures.ELI_3706.jpgELI_3745.jpgELI_2656.jpgELI_2786.jpgELI_3656.jpgDSC_0978.jpgELI_2524.jpgELI_2652.jpg

A lot of snipping. it was crazy with the kids everywhere. if you look you can capture some beautiful stuff. people love pictures when you capture them as they are. natural.
my favorite 2 lenses 85mm and 105mm. thats when I have a lot of room to move. if its a tight place, then 50 and 85.

Last edited:

wud

Lol, I remember like a bucket with holes in.. It gave them 110 pictures. Just looked in the folder.

I didn't shoot the party/dinner, and I dont really want to, I must admit. Maybe someday when I'm more comfortable with my flash.

Okay okay, just sounded like you gave a crap ;)
I know I could give them several hundred images but I am not going to do that. I take my time with each photo, also in PP, thats just my style, I guess. But they know that before, of course.

rocketman122

Lol, I remember like a bucket with holes in.. It gave them 110 pictures. Just looked in the folder.

I didn't shoot the party/dinner, and I dont really want to, I must admit. Maybe someday when I'm more comfortable with my flash.

Okay okay, just sounded like you gave a crap ;)
I know I could give them several hundred images but I am not going to do that. I take my time with each photo, also in PP, thats just my style, I guess. But they know that before, of course.

no, you misunderstood. I dont care about them with how much they want. my job is to capture as much as I can and that I personally feel inside that I gave 100% and captures as much as I could. I couldnt give a rats ass what they think. I have to feel inside that I did a good job. I did so many picture because it was family. but its not that I say, lets shoot 5000 and see if we can get 750 good ones.

We dont live in the same countries. im saying for here, my clients would rip me apart HAHA. and because my style is more about snipping/stealth mode, I have a lot of shots of people with closed eyes and weird faces, moving/blurred. the amount that are fails are much higher than the "hey guys, over here, say cheese" is much much higher. but still, I cant sit still. Im all over. when the girl gave her speech, I went behind the bar and shot from her POV. I dont care, I want to capture amazing shots and from different angles. I will do what it takes to get the shots. when the rabbi is blocking me and the guests at the chuppa, I intervene and tell him in a polite but very assertive way to move. btw, almost all the shots were with no flash. I think at times I was shooting iso 4000.

wud

Ahh high iso. Good idea.

I just logged on to say, I didn't mean you don't spend time with your images! Luckily you didn't read it like that.

I have no idea, what is a standard amount of delivered images. I don't charge so much still, also I am very new in wedding photography so I am of course focused on the "safe" shots mostly.

What do you charge for a wedding?

Sent from Tapatalk

rocketman122

Ahh high iso. Good idea.

I just logged on to say, I didn't mean you don't spend time with your images! Luckily you didn't read it like that.

I have no idea, what is a standard amount of delivered images. I don't charge so much still, also I am very new in wedding photography so I am of course focused on the "safe" shots mostly.

What do you charge for a wedding?

Sent from Tapatalk

I dont sit much time with PP. but no matter how you look at it, with all the pictures, it takes quite some time haha. but its easy editing with acdsee. exposure, color, contrast. stuff like that. I dont care what they think about the photos. my work is stellar. theyd be stupid if they said the pictures are meh. show it to a normal person and they would say some amazing pictures. but I do care that I do a good job. its being content inside I gave your best. you know, when you give from yourself and have that happy feeling you were able to get all the shots you needed and you got some great captures. they know my works so the style I show them is what theyll get. so there are no surprises.

I also do the safe shots. its a must. you have different generations and you have to cater to the parents (old school) and the BG/ their friends who want crazy more modern stuff. It usually happens to be something like this.. 40% bulk necessary standard photos you MUST capture. the fill is what I call it. then you have 30% snipping/stealth/PJ style capture. emotions, stuff like that. then 20% creative stuff people say "holy cow thats beautiful" and 10% spectacular out of the ordinary shots you could place in your profile to promote yourself.

I wont tell you prices because I dont do private weddings. I work as a freelancer for other photogs. I used to do private weddings but I dont want the headache anymore of running around after the wedding. but this was family so it was different. and I didnt get paid much. and it was fine. its not so much about the money. I hate the business part of wedding photography. just want to shoot and create.

I say it usually takes about 5 years for a new photographer to get constant work. so be patient. but you must advertise. go to venues and see if you can work with them. network with makeup artists/florists/dj's/dress stores/limousine service. send friend requests to professionals in your area. ask to meet with them. collaborate on sales for the winter. try to do a sale for a dress/dj/photog combo deal and post that on FB. get as many friends as you can. use their advertisement service. constantly post new pics so people have your pictures imbedded in their minds.

wud

Thanks for a summarize :) I understand what you mean about doing weddings. I would love to do it occasionally and then really do great work - I am not at all there yet, but I'm sure it will come.

Great ideas, thank you! I like the one with dress stores. Will see if I could figure out something about this.

I've been pretty bummed out due to work and i hardly had any shoots the last 1-2 months. But now I am forcing myself again and got some advertising coming up + two studio shootings with kids (I asked them) to produce something to promote with.

Sent from Tapatalk

ShootRaw

Ahh high iso. Good idea.

I have no idea, what is a standard amount of delivered images.

Sent from Tapatalk
One photographer normally shoots about 750 pics and delivers 150...

Flugelbinder

One photographer normally shoots about 750 pics and delivers 150...

I've heard of way larger numbers of shots to deliver 100... A few days ago I asked my sister-in-law if I could have a look at her wedding album. I was appalled! There was even OUT OF FOCUS pictures..... So, WUD, you did a great job. :)

wud

One of the things I weren't completely satisfied with - which was out of my control - are the images from the church looks a bit... "dead"? Don't know which word to describe it with. They were of course so nervous (I am married to and even though I didn't think I would get nervous, I was!), and I don't quite know how to get around this in the images yet.

Meaning, it's okay to be nervous but how do I make the best of it?

Speaking of, I just got booked for a wedding this summer :) :)

Sent from Tapatalk

rocketman122

Thanks for a summarize :) I understand what you mean about doing weddings. I would love to do it occasionally and then really do great work - I am not at all there yet, but I'm sure it will come.

Great ideas, thank you! I like the one with dress stores. Will see if I could figure out something about this.

I've been pretty bummed out due to work and i hardly had any shoots the last 1-2 months. But now I am forcing myself again and got some advertising coming up + two studio shootings with kids (I asked them) to produce something to promote with.

try to find smaller dress shops. ones who are maybe new and dont have huge budgets for advertising. you can do a studio session for them and you give them the work for free and they use your work and recommend you. make some nice enlargements to place on the wall and make a big album with printed pics. put your logo in the album. you have to invest to go further. no one will comes because you have a nice smile. also you can make a small album with your wedding work so they can show that. you might consider doing a deal with them. weddings dress+photographer for X amount of money. it takes time to get constant work. I say about 5 years of pushing non stop. networking with other vendors. the more the better. dont stop once you get enough work. but thats going to be awhile.

Another thing I will highly recommend is you should consider working for other photographers. especially the veterans. most newbies have their heads up too high with pride and say "what? me? work for someone else? no way." you are missing out on the fastest way to success. lower your head and your pride and dignity and do it. huge pluses. you learn trade secrets from pros whove been dfoing it for years. you dont waste money and time buying gear you thought youd need. you learn tips for honing your skills. and 2 biggest pluses...1, you as the 2nd photographer have many opportunities to get better photos than him. why? because he as the main photog has almost all responsibilty on him to shoot the basic mandatory pics and you have much less resting on your shoulders. you can be creative and walk around and shoot different angles he may not be able to because he has a must capture list thats time restrained and doesnt have time to be creative. for example. in the chuppa/ceremony. my friend is the main photog must get specific photos of the ceremony. I dont have that weight on my shoulders. so I found a high point where I shot some nice pictures from the side. I can even go stand with the guests and get their pov looking at the BG at the ceremony where he must stay close to the BG and capture it should something unveil.
and last huge plus with working for other photogs...you get to practice all the time. you have no stress on you to deliver and if you dont have your own weddings, you get "cold" and you lose your "edge" if you know what I mean. if its been a while since one uses his camera he will lose that edge. by shooting for other photogs you constantly practice and get better. less stress on you to deliver and youll grow more confident. and you need a LOT of confidence to be a good wedding photog. the more confidence the more you "dare" to get amazing pictures.

for instance, you need confidence when you do the formals. people look to you as the photographer to "arrange" them in a pleasing way so they come out as best they can. no confidence, the pictures show. the photog you work for will give that to you. he will slowly push you to better yourself. when you do your own weddings there is so much weight on your shoulders you start to forget, you eff up a lot of things. its a win win. going back to formals portraits. I did a group shot with 20+ family members standing. they all grouped up together. and because im experienced and have confidence I went in and arranged them so they look their best. so I spread them out. BG in the middle always. mother fathers to the sides of the BG and grandma grandpa next tothem kids I bring them in front of the parents but always standing in between so they dont block one person completely. and I joke with them while I do it. I maake them feel at ease. I project my complete confidence and they are relaxed knowing im going to make them look as best as I can (under the situation and lighting) and they sense this. while im arranging them, I give the person a look over and see if they need tidying. men usually their ties need to be tightened and women their bust line is popping out. little details to make sure they look their best. I also joke with the grumpy ones "smile, its such a happy occasion" and they all laugh and enjoy themselves. or the ones who dont shut up, I say to them "shhh, dont talk so loud or theyll hear you in the pictures" and everyone laughs and that breaks the ice and they are relaxed. but if the photographer has no confidence, this will sense this. the pictures come out showing it. the camera doesnt lie. it shows peoples true expressions. in mine, they are smiling, relaxed, enjoying. I make them feel at ease.

Speaking of, I just got booked for a wedding this summer :) :)

good, time to build up your work. see what things are missing. get details sorted out. like a location for shooting the BG. gear you might be missing. practice with the flash more. consider getting slaves and a manual flash or 2 for off camera fill on the dance floor. summer comes there is no time for anything. you should be ready for work. winter is pretty much planning for summer. good job!

btw, the church pictures look flat because the lighting was flat. they was no contrast in the scene. the lighting was diffused from what I see. and the colors are very drab and muted. you deal with what you have. dont boost colors in pictures that have muted light. it will look artificial. its my personal preference but I will critique your 2 first pictures.
the first one is a nice entrance. father has closed eyes or is looking down. before they do the walk down the aisle I always psych them up and say "slow and with pride". the entrance way is beautiful with the arch and I would have been standing straight on and shot with the whole arch and glass setting there. a nice compressed picture at 150mm or so. if I had no place to go back, I would get on one knee and shoot it upwards blurring the arch while they come towards me.

picture two has too much going on. you shot the preist and the setting with the balcony but you were trying to get an atmosphere shot. I would have gone back and opened the WA sigma and got more of the place included.

love the energy in the 3rd, why? because its tightly shot and it makes you feel like you want to lift your hand so you dont get rice in your face. I can feel what the bride was feeling. very powerful feeling of happiness and feeling the pfeww relief "were married" I love tight shots. they are intimate and your eyes are drawn exactly to where you need. in the 2st and 2nd pic its neither here nor there. im giving you my personal opinion. sometimes we as photog shoot what we sense is the right picture but these events are so quick and you dont have much time to think. it will only come from working years in it and from experience of what feels right.

I will say another thing. regarding pictures I deliver to clients. if they are not photographers themselves, I dont care what they think. Im sounding like a snob haha but I dont get satisfaction if they say good or not. im my own hardest critic. when I am happy inside knowing I captured amazing images then im content and move on to the next event. if Chef Ramsey cooked you a meal and you didnt like it, he is not at fault. he did a fabulous dish. he cooked it perfectly. the fact you didnt like it doesnt mean a thing. give the dish to 100 people and 90% would love it. so who cares if the 10% dont like it. once you start slacking and think "eh, thats good enough" then youre screwed because you stop bettering yourself. like steve jobs ( I dont like the guy btw). he didnt care what others thought. he did what he did because he knew what people wanted. he gave people things they didnt know they want or need. man am I talking too much.