Newbie Looking for Best Place that Sums up the Basics of Differrnt Lens Types/Uses

Michigandr

I want to get a DSLR and would like to get something that can pretty much do it all. Mostly interested in wide angle for time lapse and landscape but also interested in the occasional action shot, portrait and macro type stuff. I have been pointed in the direction of the D800E which would be a huge stretch for my budget but even then I know almost nothing about lenses.

Any links to great sources of info on the breakdown and uses of different lens would be greatly appreciated.

Also this might be better suited for a different section but any downsides to the D800E other than false color and moiré? Anything it can't do or wouldnt normally be used for?

Thanks!

Geoffc

I want to get a DSLR and would like to get something that can pretty much do it all. Mostly interested in wide angle for time lapse and landscape but also interested in the occasional action shot, portrait and macro type stuff. I have been pointed in the direction of the D800E which would be a huge stretch for my budget but even then I know almost nothing about lenses.

Any links to great sources of info on the breakdown and uses of different lens would be greatly appreciated.

Also this might be better suited for a different section but any downsides to the D800E other than false color and moiré? Anything it can't do or wouldnt normally be used for?

Thanks!

Although the buffer isn't huge for lots of repeat shots, the D7100 would be ideal. The 800 doesn't have as good a frame rate, albeit the buffer is bigger. You could get the 7100 with a Tokina 11-16 ultra wide plus maybe a Nikon 18-200 for the same as an 800e body. The Tokina is fantastic and the 18-200 is a great do it all lens.

aroy

If you want a do it all then a cell phone or P&S is a better option. I have a DSLR, but for most of my work I use a 5MP camera on my Nokia, and I usually shoot 200+ photos per day.

Unless you want excellent Image Quality and low light performance, or print large or require Super Telephoto, a small camera does it all. In fact as a cell phone is always with you, so you never miss a shot.:D

Now if you have decided to use a DSLR, then here are what different lenses do.

Prime. These are single focal length. Their virtues are - small in size, wider apertures, hence excellent in low light conditions, in general better optics hence sharper with less distortions.

ZOOM. These lenses incorporate a range of focal lengths. Their prime advantage is that you need not carry a lot of prime lenses hence framing is easier. Main disadvantages are - size and price. Most of the lower end zooms are also very slow (higher maximum aperture) and optically inferior to primes. In general the wider the zoom ratio, the poorer the performance.

MACRO. Normal lenses are designed for optimal performance at large distances. Macro lenses are designed for close up work. In most cases they result in a larger image so that small objects fill up more real estate on the sensor.

Tilt & Shift. These are special lenses where the image plane can be tilted and shifted with respect to the sensor plane. The shift function helps in correcting perspective distortions optically. The tilt function is used to bring all objects in an oblique plane in focus, that is with proper tilt you can have every thing from the foot of the tripod to the horizon in sharp focus, without needing to use very high f stops to increase the DOF (Depth of field).

CAMERA. If you have experience in photography, definitely get a Nikon D800E it is an excellent camera. Otherwise you should go in for either D610 if you want FF sensor, or start with the D3200/D3300 and a kit zoom, so that if you find that a DSLR is not for you, you loose a lot less on a resale.
I hope that answers some of your requirement. Would be glad to give more details is required.