What FX body?

Belo

Some of you might remember my previous post where I sold :heart-borken: my D800 to get something "smaller".

Fast forward a couple of months on, I am pretty happy with my D7100 but feel I want to move to FX again. (Not that there is anything wrong with the D7100) The question is what to look at, pricing on the D800 seems to have dropped from the last time I purchased and the D610 also could be an option as I owned a D600 for a short while.

The only FX lens I have at the moment is a 85mm 1.8 D, my thinking is to get a 50mm 1.8 D and perhaps a 20mm 2.8 or 24mm 2.8 as a wide angle and then my favorite 70-200mm 2.8.

I know there have been a number of posts regarding this but would like some expert opinions :confused:

Belo

If you want something 'smaller' than a D800, then your only choices are a D600 or D610.

I think I am over the "smaller" thing and would rather make the correct decision based on other facts. It was an expensive lesson and one that I am reminded about often (I told you so :mad:)

BackdoorArts

If you don't need the MP's or the ability to shoot in DX format (you have the D7100) then I say go for the D610. Saves you money, is similar in ergonomics and function to the D7100 (no button confusion), and I think it makes better photos in 95% of light conditions. Love that sensor.

Belo

If you don't need the MP's or the ability to shoot in DX format (you have the D7100) then I say go for the D610. Saves you money, is similar in ergonomics and function to the D7100 (no button confusion), and I think it makes better photos in 95% of light conditions. Love that sensor.

Don't think I would keep the D7100. I don't have the need to carry two bodies around. I am familiar with both layouts so either would suite me.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Geoffc

Don't think I would keep the D7100. I don't have the need to carry two bodies around. I am familiar with both layouts so either would suite me.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Out of interest, what do you think that the 800 provides that the 7100 doesn't? I went 600/800 before the 7100 was released. Now my wife has the 7100 I can see it's very capable and goes a long way to solving the noise and dynamic range limitations of the 300 which was my reason to upgrade.

I do prefer the 300/700 body style of the 800, but that alone wouldn't justify £1000 price difference.

Please don't anybody give me a list of stock perceived FX benefits as I have used both extensively and it's a genuine question. I was processing a landscape today that I took some time ago with my D300 and Tokina 11-16 lens. I would say it's as good or better than anything I've taken with my 800 so far.

For certain tasks FX and DX have their own merits and I get that.

Admittedly if I applied this cold logic to my purchasing decisions my wallet would be heavier and my camera bag lighter!!

Belo

Geoff your post has put things into a different perspective for me thanks!

I guess with the 800 I should be able to access higher resolution, greater dynamic range, smoother tones, higher iso and better quality wide angle lenses (all small differences in isolation, but put together may be rather significant). Its been a while since I last used FX and looking at some of my older pics I miss the sharpness,etc. I have to admit that the glass I used with the 800 also made a big difference.

At the end of the day I guess there are pros and cons for both and just makes my decision so much harder as my head says stay with the 7100 and my heart says go FX

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For me it boils down to the field of view difference. There is a reason why I avoid ultra wide angle lenses when shooting people due to their distortion around the edge when shooting group of people.

I agree about the dr that the D7100 /7000 brings at lower ISO.

Geoffc

Geoff your post has put things into a different perspective for me thanks!

I guess with the 800 I should be able to access higher resolution, greater dynamic range, smoother tones, higher iso and better quality wide angle lenses (all small differences in isolation, but put together may be rather significant). Its been a while since I last used FX and looking at some of my older pics I miss the sharpness,etc. I have to admit that the glass I used with the 800 also made a big difference.

At the end of the day I guess there are pros and cons for both and just makes my decision so much harder as my head says stay with the 7100 and my heart says go FX

I'm glad it prompted some thought. Don't get me wrong, FX with great expensive glass is better, but I would liken it to a pro golfer with expensive bats vs an amateur with expensive bats .A good to fair photographer with a modern DX will be able to produce very very good images that you would be happy to print and hang on your wall. An average photographer with an FX D800 probably wouldn't be anywhere close.

A lot of the hype probably stems from the days of the 12mp DX bodies like the D300 and D90. When the D700 came out it was head and shoulders better on ISO and colour range. The gap is much smaller these days IMHO.

D12345678

This discussion is interesting for me as well, because I also own the D7100 and saved the money to buy a D610, so I am ready to buy it now BUT over the past 2 weeks I have seriously been asking myself is there a real need to actually get the D610 because I'm honestly thinking it's not going to do much for me that the D7100 is not already doing. I mainly shoot with lower ISO and have no need for the greater DOF for most of the stuff I do. I have both DX and full frame lenses, as I also use film cameras like the F80, F100, FE and so on, so lenses aren't an issue. A second body however, would be great simply so I wouldn't have the need to change lenses over so much.
Can I be convinced by anyone here that I really do need an FX body like the D610?

Geoffc

Since this thread has started I've decided to change my D300s for a D7100 to compliment (not backup) my D800. This is based on having a D800 for a year and a D7100 in the house for several months. In my view each excels in certain applications and neither completely eliminates the other. For example I never shoot the D800 in DX mode because I like a full clear viewfinder. Therefore if you are going to have one camera make sure it reflects your main application.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I can understand why you want to retain a DX camera. If you are into birding of wildlife, it is a logical choice.

Otoh, I prefer the wider FOV that the FX cams offer which is why I am getting rid of my d7000 since I only retained it just jn case my main camera breaks down, which it did and that is the only reason why I have kept it all along.

Sent from my iPhone.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This discussion is interesting for me as well, because I also own the D7100 and saved the money to buy a D610, so I am ready to buy it now.
Edited---
Can I be convinced by anyone here that I really do need an FX body like the D610?

It would be easier if you ask me and my answer will be without hesitation "hell yes!"

Sent from my iPhone.