St. Peter's Seminary, Cardross.

mrcool90

Well I took an afternoon drive with the girlfriend to St' Peters seminary on the outskirts of Cardross, Scotland.

Its an abandoned building which has pretty much been gutted out, no windows no nothing apart from some wood.

Not to bore you with the details of the place, but it was built between 1961-1966. It was closed as a seminary in 1980 and became a drug rehabilitation centre till it closed permanently at the end of the 1980s.

Photo was taken from the altar into the main block/hall
pajuva9y.jpg

Photo of the altar and it's reflection in the water.
4ery7e3y.jpg

Photo of the top floor looking along the side of the building.
a3uqy3yz.jpg

Photo of one of the corridors underneath the main hall
asa5aden.jpg

I have a few more photos if anyone's interested, I'll stick them up.

mrcool90

I believe it's in such a mess because it's close to Glasgow. A lot of people know about it considering it's quite hard to get to. Metal thieves and local reprobates vandalising the place. There's not much left apart from a shell of the building, staircases are gone just leaving concrete death slides.

I enjoying exploring abandoned buildings and villages, you can get some good photo opportunities. #4 is probably my favourite.

Moab Man

How did a building that new get into such a state that fast?

And the climate there, the wet, deteriorates things so quickly. The mosses are spectacular. Great shots! Here in the desert things just don't break down like that and look more frozen in time.

mrcool90

Moab man's right, the weather conditions here as well does play a big factor on abandoned buildings.

I forgot to mention that's why it closed down, the building leaked. The owners blamed the architects for poor drainage system but the architects blamed the owners for poor maintenance of the building, so no one took responsibility.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

pahman

...all of Gillespie Kidd & Coia's designs of that era leaked. Revered, unfortunately, and bizarrely often listed.

In reality, this is a case of serious BS. At the very foundation (hoho) of any building must be it's prime purpose: shelter. This design FAILED abysmally, and the establishment that reveres it should get a grip.

BTW, the so-called genius architects at the helm of GKC at this time were Andy Macmillan and Izzy Metzstein. A pair of way-inflated egos whos main talent was in being able to waffle pretentious crud to wankers.

Both gone now, as is (hopefully) this awful post-war era in Scottish architecture.