Just got my new d5200 and have a couple questions.

Dgriffin

Hi guys, I just got my new d5200! The pics look great but I thought there was a way for me to review all the pictures info on the screen. I mean the ISO, aperture, etc...I looked through the manual again but no luck. Second, I've inherited an old nikon with an AF NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.4 lens. Can I use it on my d5200? I hope this isn't a dumb question. :disturbed: Thanks!

Moab Man

Yes, you can use the lens. It may not focus automatically if it doesn't have a motor in the lens so you will have to manually focus it.

Can't help on the second part... actually the first part.

nickt

If a Nikon lens is designated as AF rather than AF-S, it will not autofocus on that camera. I think you also have an aperture ring and there should be a little tab to lock it at the highest f stop. You need to lock that or the camera will give an error.

Look for 'photo information' in the index of your manual. It will tell you what you can get from the multi selector. There are also some menu items you can turn on/off to determine what info is available.

Horoscope Fish

Your D5200 has an "OK" button surrounded by a four-way selector switch. While in Review Mode, press the Up Arrow button (or Down Arrow) to scroll through the different information screens for a particular photo.

Dgriffin

Thanks guys, the up/down arrow did the trick. I just had to turn the picture info on in the menu. The 50mm lens work great. I'm just wondering why I have to lock the aperture in the highest f setting?

nickt

You probably don't have to actually lock it, but its best to lock it. It needs to be at max though. You are not really locking into that f stop, just locking the ring. The camera will control the aperture (or you will manually from the camera). It just needs to know the ring is set there for whatever reason. Probably because setting that ring anywhere else would physically limit the camera from controlling the aperture properly.

Dgriffin

Nickt, you're right. I went back and looked at the photos I took with that lens. It looks like the camera is still setting the aperture itself automatically. Thanks.