Best DSLR for Landscape, time-lapse, and all around shooting

Michigandr

I want to get a DSLR but not sure what is the best option considering price and functionality/quality. Recently I have been interested in time-lapse. Inspired by time-lapse shots with a track the camera would move and or rotate on. As for the time-lapse I would monstly like to try shooting skylines, sunsets and the sky at night.

I am also interested in shooting landscapes and all around general photography not excluding the occasional action shot or portrait.

I normally like to spend the extra money to have a quality product I know will last and motivate me to take extra care of whatever the item may be knowing that if I do it will last a long time. When it comes to electronics I tend to always want to wait for the next cool thing to come out so I am getting the latest and greatest so after a couple years I dont feel it is obsolete (mostly phones and computers). But when it comes to cameras the prices obviously range very drastically so getting the very top of the line might be and probably is out of the question.

I was hoping to get some advice on what may be the best option. My knowledge of photography is very little especially as far as digital. I took a photography class is high school and used a dark room. My Grandpa was a professional photographer that shot for a couple outdoor magazines, I have his old F2 that I dont really use often because I dont like to take it out to places where it could get damaged.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was told to wait till around this time of year when new cameras come out because prices would drop. Thanks in Advance.

Pretzel

All depends on your budget, but remember: Moderate camera with great glass will beat best body with poor glass every time. FWIW, check out the landscape pics posted here and you'll see amazing shots from tons of different camera bodies.

Maybe share a little more info re: total budget, print size expectations, etc? Oh, and welcome to the forums!

BackdoorArts

With no budgetary constraints I'm with Dave, which is what I assume you're looking for when you say "best". Wish I'd gone with the 'e' when I got my D800 - but I'm not complaining. Best sensor on the planet, and it's not just this nobody telling you that.

Jonathan

With no budgetary constraints I'm with Dave, which is what I assume you're looking for when you say "best". Wish I'd gone with the 'e' when I got my D800 - but I'm not complaining. Best sensor on the planet, and it's not just this nobody telling you that.

Ain't no nobody...

Michigandr

I have always been a fan of Nikon, mostly for the reason that I see it at as Icon and it was what my Grandpa used. I would be open to other options but figured I couldn't go wrong with a Nikon. Also for lens compatibility I figured I couldn't go wrong starting a collection of Nikon compatible lens (not very knowledgeable of lens or compatibility). In my opinion Nikon and Cannon are the only options, though I know Sony and others are very good.

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! :D

I want to get a DSLR but not sure what is the best option considering price and functionality/quality. Recently I have been interested in time-lapse. Inspired by time-lapse shots with a track the camera would move and or rotate on. As for the time-lapse I would monstly like to try shooting skylines, sunsets and the sky at night.

I am also interested in shooting landscapes and all around general photography not excluding the occasional action shot or portrait.

I normally like to spend the extra money to have a quality product I know will last and motivate me to take extra care of whatever the item may be knowing that if I do it will last a long time. When it comes to electronics I tend to always want to wait for the next cool thing to come out so I am getting the latest and greatest so after a couple years I dont feel it is obsolete (mostly phones and computers). But when it comes to cameras the prices obviously range very drastically so getting the very top of the line might be and probably is out of the question.

I was hoping to get some advice on what may be the best option. My knowledge of photography is very little especially as far as digital. I took a photography class is high school and used a dark room. My Grandpa was a professional photographer that shot for a couple outdoor magazines, I have his old F2 that I dont really use often because I dont like to take it out to places where it could get damaged.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was told to wait till around this time of year when new cameras come out because prices would drop. Thanks in Advance.

Michigandr

We still have not heard your budget. Time lapse can be done with almost any of the Nikons from at least the D5100 and up.

This is a time-lapse I did with my D5100. It is about 6,000 frames crammed into 4 minutes. It is a time-lapse of a car being wrapped in a Mine Craft skin.

#TheMinecar (Minecraft in my Soul) Vehicle Wrap - YouTube

I was thinking about $2,000 but I would go up to $3,000.

What are the cons of the D800E other than false color and moiré? Anything it can't do or wouldnt normally be used for?

And is the D800E the consensuses for the "best" choice?

Are prices believed to be decreasing anytime soon on Nikons?

Again, thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Michigandr

I feel like after sharing my potential price range everyone is uninterested im helping me. lol. It would be a big stretch for me to Spend $2,000 or a camera let alone $3,000, but life is short and I have wanted a great camera for a long time and keep putting it off. I feel if I dont get into digital photography soon it will be a barrier I will forever regret I didnt knock down earlier.

Pretzel

I feel like after sharing my potential price range everyone is uninterested im helping me. lol. It would be a big stretch for me to Spend $2,000 or a camera let alone $3,000, but life is short and I have wanted a great camera for a long time and keep putting it off. I feel if I dont get into digital photography soon it will be a barrier I will forever regret I didnt knock down earlier.

I think they're just standing with their previous recommendations, which are within your stated price range.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

With that budget, the D600 is the only one that fits in this category for brand new or refurbished unit. D610 would be my suggestion.

Save money and get this at a minimum.

D12345678

With that budget, the D600 is the only one that fits in this category for brand new or refurbished unit. D610 would be my suggestion.

Save money and get this at a minimum.

Having just started using my D610 earlier this week I would have to agree with this BUT another alternative would be to buy a D7100 and with the money saved you'll have more left over to purchase a better lens for landscape. The D7100 is much like a smaller version of the D800E and while it's only a mid range dslr it really is a very advanced camera, will last for years if you take care of it and overall it's very good value for money. Do a google search for landscape photography with either the D7000 or D7100 and you'll see some fantastic images!