problem with d3200

mannyt666

for some reason my camera is going crazy. the meter reads that its underexposed by a bunch so when i turn the dial to have it read 0 i have to turn my shutter speed all the way down to 1/6 and for some reason the photo comes out super over exposed. it was doing this mostly at night i had my iso at 1600 and my aperture at 2.8. im using a 35mm 1.8g
any help with this would be apreciated

RockyNH_RIP

Manny, best would be to share the photo and the Exif data for the shot... since we have not...

Again, just a guess.. What meter mode... if you are in spot, on a darker zone... it will adjust for that rendering & all the remaining areas could be overexposed... the exact reverse will happen if all is dark save for a couple lights, if you spot on a light, it will be exposed and the balance will be way under...

I have my best luck in those conditions using matrix metering... Just one idea to check...

Pat in NH

mannyt666

Manny, best would be to share the photo and the Exif data for the shot... since we have not...

Again, just a guess.. What meter mode... if you are in spot, on a darker zone... it will adjust for that rendering & all the remaining areas could be overexposed... the exact reverse will happen if all is dark save for a couple lights, if you spot on a light, it will be exposed and the balance will be way under...

I have my best luck in those conditions using matrix metering... Just one idea to check...

Pat in NH

thanks pat in NH unfortunately i delted all the photos that came out like that i dont know why. i knew i shouldnt have. but for some reason it just fixed itself now that im playing with it
its just weird that it keeps happening randomly

nickt

Is there any exposure compensation dialed in? My best guess is what Pat said, spot metering. Post a picture with all of your settings listed and confirm you are in matrix metering. Also try some shots on auto and see if that works.

Horoscope Fish

Knowing what mode you're shooting in, P,S,A or M; and what kind of metering you're using, Matrix, Center-weighted or Spot; would be some critical information.

Horoscope Fish

I would suggest using Matrix metering, as nickt suggests, for starters. When shooting in M what I do is move the mode dial to "A"perture priority, get a reading based on the aperture I want to use, pop the mode dial back to M and then plug in the shutter speed or use exposure reciprocity values to adjust both my shutter speed and aperture (e.g. f/8 @ 1/125 = f/5.6 @ 1/250 = f/4 @ 1/500, etc.) based off what I got from the meter while in "A" mode. That and I'm prepared to bracket my shots. If I absolutely feel I need to use Spot metering, I meter on the highlights because it's much easier to bring "up" under exposure in post processing than it is to correct blown out highlights in my experience.

You should run some tests using the camera in full Auto and/or Aperture Priority mode, with Matrix metering, just to confirm your problem is in fact Pilot Error, but I'm 99.9% sure it is.

Last edited:

mannyt666

I would suggest using Matrix metering, as nickt suggests, for starters. When shooting in M what I do is move the mode dial to "A"perture priority, get a reading based on the aperture I want to use, pop the mode dial back to M and then plug in the shutter speed or use exposure reciprocity values to adjust both my shutter speed and aperture (e.g. f/8 @ 1/125 = f/5.6 @ 1/250 = f/4 @ 1/500, etc.) based off what I got from the meter while in "A" mode. That and I'm prepared to bracket my shots. If I absolutely feel I need to use Spot metering, I meter on the highlights because it's much easier to bring "up" under exposure in post processing than it is to correct blown out highlights in my experience.

You should run some tests using the camera in full Auto and/or Aperture Priority mode, with Matrix metering, just to confirm your problem is in fact Pilot Error, but I'm 99.9% sure it is.

thanks guys trying that now. just noticed one other thing. while on P and S the aperture wont change from 1.8 unless done manually in A or M

nickt

thanks guys trying that now. just noticed one other thing. while on P and S the aperture wont change from 1.8 unless done manually in A or M
It should. Point at a fairly bright light and see what happens. P mode can be reluctant to move off of minimum aperture until things get bright. Shutter priority will stay at minimum aperture if there is not enough light for a proper exposure.

mannyt666

It should. Point at a fairly bright light and see what happens. P mode can be reluctant to move off of minimum aperture until things get bright. Shutter priority will stay at minimum aperture if there is not enough light for a proper exposure.

yeah tried that already aperture wont change at all in P or S i can only change it manually in M or A

nickt

yeah tried that already aperture wont change at all in P or S i can only change it manually in M or A
Try this.... go into P mode. Turn the camera off. Turn it back on. This off and on is to clear any user adjustments to P mode. Do not touch the command wheel after turning the camera back on. Point directly at the sky or a light bulb. Does the aperture move off of 1.8? It should.
Try S mode, set 1/30 second. Point at the sky or a light bulb again. Aperture should certainly move off of 1.8.

mannyt666

Try this.... go into P mode. Turn the camera off. Turn it back on. This off and on is to clear any user adjustments to P mode. Do not touch the command wheel after turning the camera back on. Point directly at the sky or a light bulb. Does the aperture move off of 1.8? It should.
Try S mode, set 1/30 second. Point at the sky or a light bulb again. Aperture should certainly move off of 1.8.

wow this actually worked and now its working fine haha thank you so much!!!