D3100 or D7000

sherib

I'm trying to decide which camera will be my next purchase. Currently I use a Pentax K2000, terrible in low light! Since purchasing this camera 2 years ago, my use has changed and I feel the need for something better.
I enjoy taking pictures at my son's basketball games, which are notorious for having bad lighting! A friend's D5000 produced pretty good results with this, so I'm pretty convinced a switch is necessary! My other son is in a band and I would like to be able to take some pictures at his shows as well. I also would like to not have to use a flash all of the time indoors. While I understand that a fast lens would help, I was so pleased with the pictures I was able to get with the D5000, that I would think that one of the mentioned cameras would be much better than what I have.
This purchase is going to have to wait until I can save the money, so I have plenty of time to read all I can before I buy.
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If I had the extra cash right now I would go with the D7000. The D3100 is more of an entry level DSLR, whereas the D7000 is semi-pro. There are some differences that will make the D7000 worth it, especially for shooting fast action...

• D7000 can shoot 6 frames per second - D3100 can do 3
  • D7000 has a faster shutter speed, 1/8000 vs the D3100's 1/4000
  • D7000 has has higher ISO, 6400 vs D3100's 3200

Shooting in low light will be better with the D7000 due to the higher ISO range, and low noise capability. As you mentioned this can also largely depend on the lens and how fast it is (aperture).

If you don't have the cash, go with the D3100 and opt for a better, high aperture lens. You definitely won't be disappointed by either though.

fotojack

I totally agree with jedg. Nothing wrong with the D3100, but it's the fast, albeit expensive, lens that will ultimately give you what you want. The D300s is another option to look at. But like jdeg, if I had the money, I'd be shooting for the D7000. :)

crasher

Have to agree with the 2 responses above, you are looking to do action and low light photography - quite demanding!
The D7000 has better focusing, better high ISO and much better continuous shooting performance - all important for the type of photography you are looking to do.
Just a thought - does it have to be new - plenty of used D300s around at the moment at a lot less price than a D7000, don't worry about the pixel count - its irrelevant

sherib

Thanks, you all have pretty much told me what I already knew in my head and heart! Now, to convince the hubby? I was pretty sure I wanted to go for the D7000 because I didn't want to be in the same mindset 2 years from now, again, wishing I'd have gone with a more advanced setup. Now to do some convincing and saving $$!
Thanks again!

Curt

I would go with the d7000, too. I have heard a lot of really good things about the d7000. It is a bit of money,but well worth it in the long run. I hope to up grade someday myself to something like the d7000.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric321

One more vote for Nikon D7000, yes Nikon D7000 is much advanced camera its for one who has already played with dslr before while Nikon D3100 is for entry level who want to start photography. So I think for you Nikon D7000 is the best choice.

Curt

Just got my D7000 a few weeks back, it is a fantastic camera well worth the extra $$$. I would go with this camera it will not disappoint you :).

Browncoat

Keep in mind, she is coming from a Pentax K2000, which is a $300 camera. She's asking about taking photos of her kids at school events, fellas...which probably doesn't mean she's wanting to drop a couple house payments on a new camera. That said, when asking about camera recommendations, always include your budget in your post. The two cameras you have listed here are worlds apart in features, and the D7000 is double the price. If you're happy with your friend's results, take a serious look at the D5000 and D3100. They are similar in features and in price, and either one will fit your needs.

If you just want a great camera, go with the D5000. It has more features for about the same price. However, if you want the option of shooting better video with your camera, get the D3100, which is a new model that has a better sensor for shooting video.