Looking for HONEST feedback

JustinGreg

I am fairly new to using a DSLR (Nikon D7000) camera and I use it to take family photos...i.e. family trips and gatherings along with family portraits. I am looking for complete and HONEST feedback on every aspect of my photos that I have posted. Please be detailed and don't hold back! :) I used a Nikon D7000 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm 3.5-5.6G ED (DX) lense (FULL AUTO) Thank you! :) Visit JustinGreg's Profile or BlogXander 2.jpgChase 3.jpgJayme 2.jpgSkylar 4.jpgAndrew 1.jpg

Last edited:

FastGlass

The thing that distracts me the most is the fact that you have to much DOF. Because of that the backgrounds pull my attention away from the subject. Also watch the backgrounds. The dark chair, hinge are distractions. I understand the old materials feel and like the aged trim. Less DOF and keeping the subject sharp would keep ones attention on them.

Dave_W

The Dude
Where is the photo you would like us to critique? Also, please take a moment to read the rules for this section and then post the photo you would like us to examine.

Flugelbinder

Hi and welcome!!! I have to agree with FastGlass on the depth-of-field matter, although I do think the focus is dead-on... I don´t use, or ever used auto modes, but you can try this: 1- Set the camera on A (aperture priority). 2- Zoom out and with your rear dial, set the lowest possible number (just turn it until the numbers stop changing). 3- Move your subject further away from the background (this will also help to blur the background - technically bokeh). 4- Move yourself away from the subject and zoom in (since your lens doesn´t have a large aperture/low number, distance between you and your subject and your subject and the background is another way of achieving some blur). 5- Shoot :)... Let us know what you think... Picture #1 is very nice and does not require a shallow depth-of-field, but in deep shade situations I find toning down a bit (less saturation, less hue and a tad more contrast) gives a deep, colder look to the image. Again keep us posted. The most important is, enjoy! :)