My first startrails shot

dickelfan

Startrails.jpg

dickelfan

I'll post all of the info when I get home later today...sorry, should have posted last night but it was late.

I used a Nikon D7000 with an 18-105mm lens with a 30 second exposure. Took about 100 pictures and then used a free program online to put them together. I was worried it wouldn't look good, because when scrolling through the pictures I could see that a cloud made its way through the picture. But I think for first time it came out pretty good.

dickelfan

Ok here are the details:

nikon d7000
afs-nikkor 18-105 3.5-5.6
shot at 18mm
1600 ISO
f 3.5
30 sec (used a cable release, and locked the button so that it continued taking pictures)
I had the autofocus off, and manually focused as best I could by taking a shot, and then reviewing it and zooming in, and kept doing until I was happy with it
took around 100 pictures

I used the above linked program to put the pictures together, and then after it was processed I touched it up a little bit in lightroom 4, basically just bringing out some of the blue

Here is the first original untouched picture taken. As you can see there were lights on across the lake so I moved the camera to have the boat block as much of them as possible. There was also a little light coming from my In law's house, and from a few hanging colored lights behind me.

DSC_5749.jpg

Again, this was my first time ever taking a star trail picture, and I will be trying again, so any advice is really appreciated.

I u

Last edited: