The Rolley-Polley

_1DW9721.jpg

Eye of the Beholder

_D8A2760-ps-full-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

The Incredible Lightness of Being

_D8A3678-newEd.jpg

Cousins

_1DW9941-Edit-3-Edit.jpg

Weekly Challenge January 2014 - Storytelling and the Decisive Moment in Photography

CHALLENGE DESCRIPTION

A photograph is said to be worth a thousand words. This is due to the rich story a photograph can tell. While modern digital cameras now allow everyone the ability to produce perfectly exposed and focused images, creating a image that speaks to the viewer and tells a clear story still requires skill and planning on the part of the photographer. And the best photographic stories are produced by capturing the so-called "Decisive" moment. That one moment in time that sums up completely what the artist is trying to convey in their image.

This months challenge is to produce an image (3 in total) that tells a story by capturing the decisive moment in time and space. The story can be complex or it can be simple, it can involve any subject matter you choose and it should also come with a title. The title of your story can be an important clue to the viewer and can sometimes make the difference between an understood image and a confusing image. Your image will be judged by the merits listed below as well as how effectively your story is told, the creativity you have used in the telling of your story and how well you have captured that decisive moment in time.

Assignments are designed to help you grow your photography skills and creativity, and have fun doing so. Assignments are to make all of us photographers think outside the box also.

The Rules
  1. Any photo submitted for a monthly assignment must be taken during the month specified in the assignment thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIFdata can be verified, we will use the honor system.
  2. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge. Links to photos will not be considered an entry.
  3. Only three photo entries per member, for each assignment, unless otherwise indicated.
  4. Assignments will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
  5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.
  6. The panel will select 5 shots to be displayed in the Monthly Challenge forum and homepage of the site.
There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Monthly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the assignment. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the assignment subject.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Entry #1 - Slaying Dragons

All us little boys have been there; slaying dragons with our stick sword and caught up in the heat of battle that you didn't notice you were being watched. Judging by the little jump and leg up in the air I can only imagine this must have been the death blow.

JanuaryEntry1.jpg

Last edited:
I once spent an afternoon fly fishing when I spent more time taking ice off my line than I did floating a fly. Oh, yeah, I was skunked.

Tink1o5

Im new here, but here are my entries.

Attachments

• brotherly love.jpg
    brotherly love.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Tai playing football.jpg
    Tai playing football.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 122

Revet

Ominous Lull in a Blizzard.

We were driving in a whiteout not being able to see 5 feet in front of us in sub-zero temperatures. We temporarily drove out of the blizzard and I took this shot. It shows natures beautiful and dangerous moods in the same shot. Within 5 miles, we were back in whiteout conditions.

winter_storm-1.jpg

Philnz

"Picking"
DSC_0049.jpg
Model NIKON D7100
Shutter Speed 1/250 s
F-Number f/8
ISO ISO 200
Exposure Bias Value 0.00 eV
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Off, Did not fire
Focal Length 18 mm