Trouble deciding between nikon d600 and d800

480sparky

I printed out the specs for both cameras. I then crossed out everything that was the same for both of them. If the item didn't affect me, then it was crossed of as wellf. I then evaluated each item, one-by-one, that remained.

What was left was the differences that mean something. The process then became, which camera's spec worked better for me. In the long run, it was the D600. In fact, there were a couple of things about the D800 that worked against me getting it.

Just because a camera costs more and can do more doesn't make it the best choice.

WayneF

What does the D600 have that the D800 does not have, except for being only 24 mp?

Auto scene modes?

Last edited:

480sparky

What does the D600 have that the D800 does not have, except for being only 24 mp?

Auto scene modes?

Two SD card slots, instead of one and a CF card slot.
Lower price.

Other than that, it's not what the D600 had that the D800 didn't, it was what the D800 had that I didn't need and felt I didn't need to pay for.

Bill16

I would suggest making the choice be between the D610 and the D800! I think I would need to know more before I could make a suggestion of which model that would be best for you. Experience level, type of photos your most likely to be taking most, what glass do you have, and if you have a good computer to handle larger files in the case of the D800/D800E.

But welcome to nikonites! I hope you'll enjoy it here with us! :D

GeoWes

A notorious issue with dust and oil thrown from the shutter on to the sensor.

Although the dust and oil issues popped up on my d600, they lasted about 4k shots. Being old school film photographer, I see the advantages of digital over film, but I can't understand why there are so many digital photographers out there that don't know how to clean their damn camera. Dust, oil and dirt are nothing new in photography. Keeping your gear clean isn't hard, just tedious. Ok, my rant is done.:D

Bob Blaylock

Although the dust and oil issues popped up on my d600, they lasted about 4k shots.

No first hand knowledge. It's just something I became aware of once I started participating on this forum that the D600 has a reputation for having unreasonably serious problems in this direction. It's difficult to know how widespread it its. Surely,those who've had this problem are going to be much more vocal about their experiences than those who have D600s that don't have this problem. If I were in the market for a camera in that range, this reputation would surely give me pause about buying a D600.

Being old school film photographer, I see the advantages of digital over film, but I can't understand why there are so many digital photographers out there that don't know how to clean their damn camera. Dust, oil and dirt are nothing new in photography. Keeping your gear clean isn't hard, just tedious. Ok, my rant is done.:D

I was taken by surprise when I discovered the sensor-dust issue with my D3200. You're right, it's not that difficult to deal with, once you figure out what you're doing, but it is an issue that doesn't arise to nearly the same degree with film cameras, and I'm sure I'm not the first, on making the transition to one's first DSLR after many, many years with film cameras, to be caught to such a startling and disturbing degree by this issue.

With my F2, I always knew of the importance of keeping it clean inside and out. But a stray bit of dust here and there was never a big issue. If a bit of dust happened to land on the film, it would affect only that one shot, and by the next shot, it'd be gone. In a DSLR, if a bit of dust lands on the sensor, it stays there. And as another bit of dust, and another, and another, you have a growing problem. I'm sure that for many photographers, making the transition from film to digital, it's just not an issue that one thinks to anticipate, until one actually experiences it.

GeoWes

I had a hard time accepting that I wasn't putting on a new image sensor every time I advanced the film. But I did get used to it. Still cringe when I get onto that sensor but it's not as bad as the first time. :D

Expertneo

Just to def the D600, -believe it or not- has many advantage over D800. If there is no need for the latest most advanced features there is no point of investing hudreds of dollars/pounds/euros to a pro body. I had hard times deciding between D610 and D800, but finally I went for the D610. Looking at spec-sheets does not show the real differences. I must to admit I like the D800 better over the D610. It has larger viewfinder, more advanced AF system; it fits better in my hand. However the price difference is 500 pounds at least. This is a lot of money for me, thus I kept in mind that a body is just an expense, lens is an investment. I also kept in mind that I need low light shooting capability. This is the most important for me. It has dual SD card slot as well. It is kind of advantage for me. I do not need CF card. It costs more than the SD. This is another expense..

To summarize: Why should I go for the D800? It is a better camera, but I am not a professional. I don't mind if 1 picture will be out of focus in dim low light out of 3-4-5... I feel confident about investing more to higher quality glasses (like Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VR and a couple of nikkor primes) with a D610 will gives me advantage over the D800 with budget glasses... It is worthwhile to buy quality filters as well, like polar filter. That makes a big difference for landscape, etc...

You have to make the decision, but I tell you that the D610 has a damn good sensor which compares to D800 for less then 500 Pounds. Not to mention the money that you can save with the SD cards...

I hope It helps.

Bence

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This is more of a personal choice on what you are willing to compromise especially when it comes to finance.

I would save and get another a D800e if I need a FX camera.

Sent from my iPhone.