Return to Salton Sea

Horoscope Fish

Some shots from a recent return trip to one of my favorite shooting locations, Salton Sea, CA. This desolate location has an odd, haunting beauty that keeps me coming back. When I look at these shots, even I find hard to believe they were all taken in such close proximity to one another.

Salton Sea #1.jpg

Salton Sea #2.jpg

Salton Sea #3.jpg

Salton Sea #4.jpg

Salton Sea #5.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
What is the history of this place? What were those buildings before they were abandoned? I can see why you consider it fascinating . . . I love abandoned places, too.

Very nice photos, did you want feedback?

Horoscope Fish

What is the history of this place? What were those buildings before they were abandoned? I can see why you consider it fascinating . . . I love abandoned places, too.
The area surrounding the Salton Sea was slated for massive development back in the 1950's; the idea being to create a sort of family-friendly resort town. Hotels, camp sites and marinas were planned but the development stalled due to the isolated nature of the area and by 1970 the dream had died. When the last bits of development money dried up, everything was abandoned. There are people who live here, full time, mainly in ramshackle RV's. I *think* there is electrical power from "The Grid" but I'm not sure and I've never seen any evidence of sewers or fresh-water supply lines. The salinity of the water in the Salton Sea spikes on a regular basis which causes mass die-offs of fish, so the "beach" perpetually reeks of dead fish and the coast line is littered with their carcasses. Tres chic, non?

I've thought about going out there to see what the place looks like at night because I loves me some night-photography. What stops me is I'm not entirely certain how wise an idea it would be, wandering out there alone in the middle of the night. The desert is an odd place...

Thank you... And feedback from you is always appreciated!

Dave_W

The Dude

In the early 1900's the Colorado river flooded over its banks, due to poor canal planning, and created the Salton sea. Since then there have been several attempts to turn the lake into a resort, none of which have succeeded. The latest attempt was back in the 1960's. But because of the season changes in water level (much of which now come from agricultural run off) the sea levels can change dramatically. As a result, there are many abandoned homes and trailers that have spent part of their lives under water scattered about the lake.

I love the Salton Sea and the areas nearby. At the southern end of the lake is the Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge that is dedicated to maintaining the sea levels and also flooding the nearby fields for the many migrating birds since this is a major flyway for migrating birds. The problem now is the fact that less and less water is making to the lake and it continues to get more and more salty. And of course, the smell of the sea is....well, not the nicest smell you'll ever smell, if you know what I mean.

BackdoorArts

Lovely!! My company has offices in Rancho Bernardo, and ever since I picked up a camera again I've been waiting for them to send me out there so I can take a couple extra days and go shooting. The Salton Sea is on my list of places, but alas my wait has been 2 1/2 years and no trips. Maybe this year.