85mm 1.2 AF????

Any ideas if or when? LOVE this lens on a canon.....but not willing to pay out $$$'s for a canon camera body and ens just cos Nikon doesn't have it. I already have the 85 1.4 nikon lens but the canon is is sooooooo nice!

fotojack

You're not happy with the 85 1.4??? And here I make do with the 85 f/3.5 . I'd give my left (insert appendage of your choice here) for the 85 1.4 !! ;)

Ranie

I don't think it will be soon.
When Canon decided to design and eventually manufacture digital bodies, they considered making large aperture lenses (primes) in the 1.2 bracket. They totally redesigned their lens mount and made it bigger, thus you cannot use older canon lenses on newer bodies. As long as Nikon uses their F mount on bodies they manufacture, it maybe quite some time that they will be making one. One advantage of the F mount is that we can use older lenses (AI-s, D) on our new bodies. There is a 50mm F1.2 manual lens that we can use actually. But I have not heard nor seen one in the 85mm. The 85mm 1.4 is already a performer, the newer 85mm1.4 G looks promising too, minus its SRP!

I don't think it will be soon.
When Canon decided to design and eventually manufacture digital bodies, they considered making large aperture lenses (primes) in the 1.2 bracket. They totally redesigned their lens mount and made it bigger, thus you cannot use older canon lenses on newer bodies. As long as Nikon uses their F mount on bodies they manufacture, it maybe quite some time that they will be making one. One advantage of the F mount is that we can use older lenses (AI-s, D) on our new bodies. There is a 50mm F1.2 manual lens that we can use actually. But I have not heard nor seen one in the 85mm. The 85mm 1.4 is already a performer, the newer 85mm1.4 G looks promising too, minus its SRP!

Haha Ranie, 'when' nikon do ever make a 1.2 you can buy mine :) Obviously by the sounds of it, it won't be any time soon :( Such a shame, such an awesom lens on the canon. :(

Ranie

Funky - by the way, i hope you are not affected by the floods there.
About the 85mm, have you tried the new 85 F1.4 G? I tried the new 85mm 1.4 G lens on a D3s. With the D3s hi ISO capability, you wont be needing any more flashes.................. LOLs