Budget Low Light Lens for Portraits and Indoor Work

Mike D90

I would like to add a really good, not top of the line, low light lens to my set so I can occasionally practice indoor low light photography for when that day comes that I decide it is time to actually do the real work.

I have been reading for hours about low light lenses and I still have not come up with something that makes sense to me.

I have the D90 and will likely be using this camera for at least the next year. I guess that does not really matter so much as it crops all lenses anyway, but it also changes the recorded field of view on wide angle lenses.

Nothing I have is faster than f/3.5 currently.

What would be some of your recommendations as to the lens I am looking for? Is a 1.8 fast enough? Should I go for an older prime lens in AI-S configuration and use manual mode? I have no fear using manual mode. I come from a Nikon FM2N history anyway.

With the crop factor of the small sensor what angle lens makes sense?

Older lenses are usually cheaper and cheap is what I need unfortunately.

Scott Murray

50mm 1.4D

Just took both of these on my D600 with this lens ;-)

I will see if I can find my D80 and take some shots with this lens.

D60_1409.jpg D60_1416.jpg

Last edited:

Mike D90

on a D90, 35mm 1.8G would be a great idea.
any 35mm 1.8 series would.

if money is no object, then i would suggest the new 28mm

Unfortunately money is the object. I am tapped out. I sold everything I owned that I didn't eat, wear or drive to fund what I have now.

Rick M

Portrait and indoor is a tough combination. A 50 1.8g would be ok for portraits and low light, but will leave you cramped for space for everything else. The 35 1.8 would be better for indoors, but not for "serious" portrait work.

Bob Blaylock

My go-to low-light lens for my D3200 is my ancient non-AI 50mm ƒ1.4 lens from my F2. I imagine that if you can find a used lens for sale like this one, that due to its age and obsolescence, that it ought not be terribly expensive. You'd need to make sure you can use it with your camera. Nikon incorrectly claims that the D3200 cannot use a non-AI lens, though it works fine on my D3200, albeit in only the most primitive manual mode.

Bill16

There seems to be several 28mm lenses on eBay for a fair sounding price, but maybe it isn't the one mentioned. I don't know..........

There is one for $125 or best offer on eBay too. I didn't read what the condition was in.........

Mike D90

My go-to low-light lens for my D3200 is my ancient non-AI 50mm ƒ1.4 lens from my F2. I imagine that if you can find a used lens for sale like this one, that due to its age and obsolescence, that it ought not be terribly expensive. You'd need to make sure you can use it with your camera. Nikon incorrectly claims that the D3200 cannot use a non-AI lens, though it works fine on my D3200, albeit in only the most primitive manual mode.

I don't mind manual mode. Am currently searching the AI-S 50 at f/1.4. Those aren't terribly high but are not cheap either.

Mike D90

Cheapest 50mm 1.4D I can find is $250AUD which is around $220USD

The 50mm f/1.8 is easily found cheap. Would you suggest that? Is it considered low light or do I really need to get the 1.4? That small aperture difference makes a huge money difference. Is the extra speed worth it?

snaphappy

I have a 50mm 1.8D I picked up used for under $100cdn and although I often find 50mm not overly useful in the house with multiple people and when doing outdoors stuff its often not really wide enough. I had fun with the 50mm1.8D the other night though and it is a nice lens. I find myself more often using the 35mm 1.8G but a 35mm for a portrait would put you and the camera right in the persons face. A 50mm would let you step back a bit (breathing room) and cut down on cropping. Would you really want F1.8 for a portrait?