EN-EL14 vs EN-EL14a

MPSanSouci

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but since it deals with my D5200 .. :confused:

I went to buy an additional battery for my D5200 today. The specs call for the Nikon EN-EL14. the store did not have any 14's but I was told they do have some 14a's that are compatible.

Since I needed an additional battery, I bought one of the 14a's.

What is the difference between the EN-EL14 and the EN-EL14a in regards to my D5200? Did I just make a bad decision?

Michael

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but since it deals with my D5200 .. :confused:

I went to buy an additional battery for my D5200 today. The specs call for the Nikon EN-EL14. the store did not have any 14's but I was told they do have some 14a's that are compatible.

Since I needed an additional battery, I bought one of the 14a's.

What is the difference between the EN-EL14 and the EN-EL14a in regards to my D5200? Did I just make a bad decision?

Michael

Hi Michael. Either batteries will work.

Key Features
These rechargeable batteries provide extended life and consistent power, even in colder conditions.

The battery uses the MH-24 charger.

The EN-EL4a even gives notice when calibration is necessary.

MPSanSouci

The EN-EL4a even gives notice when calibration is necessary.

OK .. now it's time for me to sound stupid :moody: .. the battery will notify me when calibration is necessary? Calibrate what? :confused:

The one thing I did find out ( after doing A LOT of research ) is that the EN-EL14a will give me more frame shots than the EN-EL14.

If you update your camera to the latest available firmware, then the two batteries compare like this ..

Camera
EN-EL14 battery life
EN-EL14a battery life
Nikon D3100​
550 frames​
620 frames​
Nikon D3200
540 frames​
600 frames​
Nikon D5100​
660 frames​
700 frames​
Nikon D5200​
500 frames​
700 frames​
Nikon P7700​
330 frames​
360 frames​
http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...-better-battery-life-canon-updates-cinema-eos

Michael

BTW .. Thank you for your responce and sorry it took me so long to come back!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
OK .. now it's time for me to sound stupid :moody: .. the battery will notify me when calibration is necessary? Calibrate what? :confused:

The one thing I did find out ( after doing A LOT of research ) is that the EN-EL14a will give me more frame shots than the EN-EL14.

If you update your camera to the latest available firmware, then the two batteries compare like this ..

Camera
EN-EL14 battery life
EN-EL14a battery life
Nikon D3100​
550 frames​
620 frames​
Nikon D3200
540 frames​
600 frames​
Nikon D5100​
660 frames​
700 frames​
Nikon D5200​
500 frames​
700 frames​
I don't have your camera or have a camera that uses that battery. I got the information by simply going to Nikon USA website.

edit: have you tried looking for the answer from your owners manual?

Last edited: