Do I need a ?!?!?!

Scott Murray

Hey with my current lenses is it worth my while buying a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G? I have read that this would be great for weddings and I am thinking it also would be great for night time milkyway shots etc. My current lenses in this range are the 16-35VR and Prime is 50mm f/1.4.

Whiskeyman

I'm not sure that 35 mm will get you what you want as far as Milky Way images; you may wish to have a wider lens than that.

But absolutely, you need that lens! There! Feel better? ;)

WM

Scott Murray

I'm not sure that 35 mm will get you what you want as far as Milky Way images; you may wish to have a wider lens than that.

But absolutely, you need that lens! There! Feel better? ;)

WM
True about the Milky way, was just thinking of doing vertical shots + stitching but guess I can do that with my 50mm. But is there enough difference with the 35 & 50 regarding portraits/group shots etc? And is there enough difference with the IQ from the 35mm compared to the 16-35 @35?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hey with my current lenses is it worth my while buying a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G? I have read that this would be great for weddings and I am thinking it also would be great for night time milkyway shots etc. My current lenses in this range are the 16-35VR and Prime is 50mm f/1.4.

If you need a 35mm, I would wait for the 35mm f1.8g FX lens that is supposed to be announce within 10 days according to NR.com. I find the f1.4 a little too heavy for prolong use.

Scott Murray

If you need a 35mm, I would wait for the 35mm f1.8g FX lens that is supposed to be announce within 10 days according to NR.com. I find the f1.4 a little too heavy for prolong use.
Heavy compared to my 85mm 1.4? Or 80-400VR which I carry all day lol. But yeah I may wait. Am thinking that if I do get it though I want it before mid February.

Flugelbinder

True about the Milky way, was just thinking of doing vertical shots + stitching but guess I can do that with my 50mm. But is there enough difference with the 35 & 50 regarding portraits/group shots etc? And is there enough difference with the IQ from the 35mm compared to the 16-35 @35?

I had a 35 1.8 and I didn´t really like the look of portraits taken with it. There´s a noticeable compression with the 50; the portraits already look much better... For Milkyway shots, others will respond to that way better than I can...

Scott Murray

I had a 35 1.8 and I didn´t really like the look of portraits taken with it. There´s a noticeable compression with the 50; the portraits already look much better... For Milkyway shots, others will respond to that way better than I can...
I was thinking more for groups and landscape.

Whiskeyman

Scott, I've got no experience with the 16-35 to compare the 35 to, but from what I've read, it isn't that big a deal. IMO, where the prime has the advantage is in speed.

Glenn, I anxiously await this lens' introduction. Thanks for the vector toward its possibility.

WM

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For that money, the 14.24mm might be a better option instead of the 24mm f1.4. However, those f1.4 lenses gathers light much better and can help when lighting is challenging and provides better iQ. Stopped down a bit, they become ridiculously sharper.

Sent from my iPhone.

Rick M

I wanted a 35mm prime and went with the new Sigma 35 1.4. Take a look at the reviews, one of the sharpest available. The Nikon version does not live up to it's price tag. I've found it is my favorite single focal length and 1.4 makes a difference as you get wider.