D5200 and Sigma 150-500mm lens

bandit993

Has anyone used the combination of a D5200 and the Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG HSM lens? I am looking at that lens and would like some input. I don't have the money for the high end Nikon lenses but don't want to throw away that money either. Thanks in advance..

Rick M

I think some folks here have it and it does a good job regardless of the body. You might want to wait for reviews of the new Tamron coming out. I believe it is 150-600?

Steve B

I think some folks here have it and it does a good job regardless of the body. You might want to wait for reviews of the new Tamron coming out. I believe it is 150-600?

Exactly what I would suggest. The 150-600 is about $100 more.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Nice lens. It can focus hunt in low light due to minimum aperture. A little soft wide open but works great from f/8 to f/11. Nice and sharp. My go-to birding and wildlife lens, nice and solid. The new Tamron is intriguing, but I have no reason to want to get rid of the Sigma, particularly before seeing any real photos from it (there's just promo stuff). I've gotten great results with it on a D90, D7000, D600 and D800, so I'd imagine you'd be fine on the D5200.

bandit993

Right now Henry's has the sigma on sale for $900. Hate to pass it up but the Tamron does sound interesting.. Decisions, decisions ..hahah

cbg

Backdoorhippie is correct on the lens performance. I used it on a D5000, and now on a D7000, and have been happy with it. Here's a recent shot on my D7000.

Attachments

• DSC_3547-2.jpg
    DSC_3547-2.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 5,526

bandit993

That is a great pic. Now I don't want to sound negative but is that straight out of the camera or is there some post editing done to it? If so what program do you use?

cbg

I generally post process just about everything I take. The amount depends on the image. I do about 0% of my processing in Light Room 5 and if necessary I will use Photoshop if there is anything major that needs to be done. I really think that every image is in need of some kind of touchup, whether it is sharpening, exposure adjustment, or something else. Every image can benefit from post processing.

Here is another image of the same Red-shoulder hawk straight from the camera with no processing at all.

Attachments

• DSC_3571.jpg
    DSC_3571.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 3,185

bandit993

My that is a good picture CBG. I don't see any need for improvement. Guess I should have bought the 150-500mm while it was on sale..hahaha oh well I'll watch for the Tamron and see how that works..