My first Wedding in October 2014

SacrificeTheory

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing my first wedding in October of next year. I'm trying to get any tips and advice on equipment I might need to cover all the basics.

My Camera -
Nikon D7100

My Equipment -
35mm 1.8G
105mm 2.8D
14-24mm 2.8G
Speedlight SB-800

Future Equipment -
24-70mm hopefully in February after tax return

I want to make sure I will be able to perform this wedding to the best of my abilities, so if you see anything I'm missing or might need for low-light environments for the reception aspect, please let me know. Any advice is always welcomed.

Thanks!

Rick M

I'm wondering if 14-24 is really wide enough on Dx. Might be better served with something that can go 10-11mm wide on Dx.

Just-Clayton

I use a 35mm,50mm and an 85mm most of the time. I also bring along my manual 24mm for the larger families. I also have a second camera for back up and less lens change. I also have an sb700 and a 3rd party flash.
Remember to have a little fun and relax. I was real nervous at my first wedding. I recently went to my nieces wedding and watched the photographer. He showed no emotion, never smiled and never took charge. He just moped around and shot.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I also have a second camera for back up and less lens change.

A back up camera body is a really good idea. If a lens fails, you have others to use, but if you have only one camera body that stops working, you won't be able to take anything else. Same for the flash like Just Clayton mentioned.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing my first wedding in October of next year. I'm trying to get any tips and advice on equipment I might need to cover all the basics.

Edited

I want to make sure I will be able to perform this wedding to the best of my abilities, so if you see anything I'm missing or might need for low-light environments for the reception aspect, please let me know. Any advice is always welcomed.

Thanks!

Are you planning on getting married multiple times? Just kidding!

GeoWes

At receptions I found that 55-200mm zoom got me into the action when I was on the other side of the room. Also helps to keep you out of their faces so you can get some really good candid shots of the celebration.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hey guys,

My Camera -
Nikon D7100

My Equipment -
35mm 1.8G
105mm 2.8D
14-24mm 2.8G
Speedlight SB-800

Future Equipment -
24-70mm hopefully in February after tax return

Depending on your experience, I would look for a second shooter. Equipment could fail and you will need back-up(s).

If I was going to shoot an event, I'll have two zoom lenses (f2.8) and speedlights. No time to change prime lenses since they won't wait for you unless the wedding ceremony is over.

With DX, D7100 with 14-24mm f2.8 and SB 800 (great for group shots).

Alternate camera to cover longer shots, 24-70mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8 VR and SB910.

Ideally for DX shooters, it will be the 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens and 70-200mm f2.8 lens.

For FX, 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 like this guy.

28Sep13 104 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Some even use 3 bodies. Do your best because it will either make your career or break it if you fail to deliver.

28Sep13 126 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

SacrificeTheory

I think I might rent a second camera body. Perhaps the D800.

As far as lighting is concerned, what is the best tips for shooting in darker areas, like in the reception hall? I'm used to bounce lighting in normal sized houses with pointing my SB-800 towards the ceiling. For bigger venues, I don't think that would work as well.

Scott Murray

As far as lighting is concerned, what is the best tips for shooting in darker areas, like in the reception hall? I'm used to bounce lighting in normal sized houses with pointing my SB-800 towards the ceiling. For bigger venues, I don't think that would work as well.
Hey I just found this information aswell.

A Beginner

Scott Murray

Hey I just found this information aswell.

A Beginner

Photography essential Gear List

Beginners Wedding Photography Guide by theFouro on deviantART

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Wedding101-page1.html

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Wedding101-page2.html

http://shutterstoppers.com/wedding-photography-tip/

http://psd101.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/wedding-photography-equipment-tips.html

Last edited: