Tokina 11-16 auto-focus issues

AKRiverRunner

I just bought a used Tokina 11-16 and was trying it out on my D7000. It will not accurately auto-focus at any distance. In live view it is fairly accurate but on all other modes it is consistently focusing too far out. Anyone else have any experience with this lens. I adjusted the af fine tune to -20 and it is closer but still not great. In manual the focus indicator shows focus for a wide range of movement on the focus ring.

Last edited:

AKRiverRunner

I just tried my 50mm 1.4 lens and after close examination it is back focusing as well. I got my refurbished D7000 on black Friday and noticed that my pictures were not as sharp as I expected. I had to manually focus the 50mm on my D3100 so I was used to seeing a lot of bad focus shots. I'm going to dip some new testing to verify if it might be the camera

AKRiverRunner

I printed out some calibration charts and tested several lenses. All were showing back focus, my 18-200 I was able to correct with -15, but my 50mm was still too far back at -20. Looks like my refurb needs to go back to Nikon.