Travel insurance for your camera equipment when traveling outside of USA

gerfoto

Hello,
I am just wondering how to insure you expensive camera and lenses when you bring them with you for an overseas trip, outside of USA.

Thanks for your help,

WayneF

If you are not doing professional/commercial photography (which will NOT qualify, they have to do something different), then call your home owners or renters insurance agent about a very inexpensive add-on rider policy for your camera gear that you carry around. Typically no deductable, covers loss due to accidents too (dropping it, etc), and cost is more or less around $1.25 per $100 covered, annually (varies slightly).

gerfoto

Well, the business is me. I do not have studio. My shoots are mostly outside.
So, I guess the home insurance is the way to go, right ?

Rick M

Well, the business is me. I do not have studio. My shoots are mostly outside.
So, I guess the home insurance is the way to go, right ?

If you are not a legitimate registered business, then homeowners is the way to go. If you are in fact registered and conducting a legitimate business, only business insurance will cover you (homeowners will not and could turn down any claim).

Scott Murray

I paid $500 for specific travel insurance for my D800 for when I went to Africa... Needless to say it covered the replacement of said camera with a D800E.

Last edited:

480sparky

Be warned:

Some carriers are darned picky about 'professionals'. If your gear is for strictly personal use, they're good with selling you a policy. But even if you've sold one 4x5 print 20 years ago, they deem you a professional and will either charge you 10x, or refuse coverage.

Other carriers will only cover gear used by professionals. So unless you pay for your kids' college education, pay your mortgage and buy cars by clicking shutters, you may find yourself SOL when making a claim.

Insurance companies are more than glad to sell you a policy. All they want is paid. The problems arise only after a claim is made.... they abhor writing checks and will do everything they can to keep from doing so.