Spots on lens.AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G

scottsp

Greetings! The spots shown in the attached image began to show up a week ago. They're not visible on all photos, but they are in the same location when they do. I adjusted the contrast and brightness to highlight them on this image. I have cleaned both ends of the lens, and have attached another lens to confirm it is a lens not a sensor issue. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Attachments

• 091 (3).jpg
    091 (3).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 125

scottsp

Aperture=4.5. I did not check the aperture for the other lens, so it may well have been different. If this is in fact sensor dust, how should I remedy it? Sorry for the basic questions. I am new at this and am learning on the fly. I have a D7100. Thanks again for your assistance.

Scott Murray

Do another test on a white wall or blank wall and post the EXIF with 2 different lenses using exact settings, then we can determine where the dust is.

Dave_W

The Dude
Dust on a lens will not show up as clean little spots and if they could be seen they would appear as areas of slightly poorer focus. The spots you are seeing are all on your "sensor".

scottsp

You need to take a picture of a white wall or the sky at F22 and post it here. Dust on the sensor show's up especially at lower apertures.
Here is the pic, taken indoors at F22. Prior to taking it, I engaged the "Clean Image Sensor" function of the D7100. That seemed to move the particles around, but that's about all. Now what? Lol. :cool:

Attachments

• 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 107

nickt

That's good if they moved. Try a blower if you have one. If not, try another cleaning cycle with sensor facing the floor, so gravity might aid in getting rid of the dust. Wet cleaning is not a hard thing to do if it comes to that. I use a blower, if that doesn't work, I have a static brush. Then I'll wet clean if need be. I end up wet cleaning twice a year.

Ruidoso Bill

Yes, try a good (rocket) blower, you may also need to invest in learning how to clean yor sensor or pay to have it done. You definetely have a dirty sensor.