Again, Spots-o-rama

Keoki

Got my D600 back from Nikon went out for my first photo shoot and already over 50 spots! I can't help it I'm mad. I think Nikon should have recalled the D600's with issues and replaced them with the D610…the camera they revised to alleviate their mistakes. i'm surprised no one has started a class action lawsuit.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Got my D600 back from Nikon went out for my first photo shoot and already over 50 spots! I can't help it I'm mad. I think Nikon should have recalled the D600's with issues and replaced them with the D610…the camera they revised to alleviate their mistakes. i'm surprised no one has started a class action lawsuit.

Keoki, I had the same problem and sent mine in 3 times before getting a refund. Please stay on top of this. If you don't yet have a supervisor on your case, request one. You might need to send it in 3 times before they will consider a refund.

I had the spots show up on the very first test photos after getting mine repaired all 3 times. Prior to sending mine in the first time, I tried in vain to clean the sensor myself; however, the problem was that I couldn't remove many of the spots. It's just my opinion, but what I surmise to be at least part of the problem is that Nikon can't remove all of them either so when people get their cameras back, they still have spots. Whatever the stuff is, it is REALLY sticky, or possibly it stains the sensor (again, just my opinion).

Here's the thread chronicling my service repairs for the D600. Please know you are not alone. Vector and I were fortunate to be granted refunds. Be firm but polite so they take you seriously. If you get bent out of shape, I don't know that they will work with you. As frustrating as the process is, please know at least a couple of us have walked in your shoes and know it's a royal pain-in-the-arse process to go through.

hrphotography

send it back to them as soon as u see spots without wasting time. In my opinion Nikon is pathetic with horrible customer service, but unfortunately that's the only way. Like Hark said after 3 services request a refund, if your camera is like the one i had, within 2 months of regular use, u will have it repaired thrice. If they refuse, reporting them to Better Business Bureau may help. D600 (most of them, not all....'saying this so i will not get 10 replies from users stating theirs is working perfectly') are lemon and there is a lemon law for defective products. U can refer that law to them also after third repair. Make sure u ask them to send u a shipping label each time, since a label with 2000$ insurance costs around 75$ with UPS. Nikon agent will argue with u about sending u the label BUT make it clear to them that its their fault, they sold you a defective product for a full price, they have to bear the cost of shipping both ways. Understand your rights, do not get taken :)
Good Luck!

Keoki

Hi Thanks for the advise. They are sending me a shipping label. Repair #2. I talked to a supervisor and they said "they NEVER issue refunds, period" I guess it depends on who you talk to. Just curious Hark, did you deal with New York or LA?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Thanks for the advise. They are sending me a shipping label. Repair #2. I talked to a supervisor and they said "they NEVER issue refunds, period" I guess it depends on who you talk to. Just curious Hark, did you deal with New York or LA?

I dealt with their New York office; however, I'm not sure which office @VectorZ used--although I *thought* his was LA.

hrphotography

it doesn't matter what they say initially, if they sold you a lemon product, they have to follow the law. I did some research after hark told me about this. In most states if a product develops a fault a "third" time its considered lemon. then either the customer gets a refund or a replacement. in some states its the fourth time. send it back to them soon as soon as it develops the spots, then once u get it back and it gets spots again, ask for refund and refer to the lemon law. it is very frustrating, it made me decide to switch to canon whenever its financially feasible for me. don't forget If they refuse, reporting them to Better Business Bureau may help (its just an online form).

VectorZ

I dealt with their New York office; however, I'm not sure which office @VectorZ used--although I *thought* his was LA.

I can assure you that they DO give refunds. They don't make it easy, but I have the check to prove it. I am in Oregon so I went through the Los Angeles center. While they were ultimately not able to repair the D600, each time I called they were excellent about sending me labels and keeping me up to date. One time they even sent it overnight express back to me so I'd have it for a trip I was taking! That had to cost at least $75.

Keoki

Ok, so I just received my camera back....again from Nikon. I went out and shot snow photos all day yesterday and guess what? At least 20-30 visible spots. First time out! I'm ready to pursue a refund with Nikon. Any advise on who to speak to or how to word my conversation? I certainly can't afford to be without my camera for 2 weeks for cleaning every time I use it, or spend $30 for a self cleaning kit. Plus no one should have to do a sensor cleaning every time they use their camera.

Keoki

My warranty would have ended in Dec., but was extended until March because of the first servicing. So I have to act quickly.

Keoki

Sent my d600 in for the 3rd time with a 2 page letter explaining why I deserve a refund. I haven't heard anything yet. I don't have my hopes up.

hrphotography

cool!, once u get it back and if they do not offer a refund, take a 1000 shots and then with spots send in back again, this should be there last chance.

Keoki

Just talked to Nikon rep. Seems they have no "record of receiving a letter" from me and my camera is on its way back. They only cleaned it this time. Yes, I will shoot away and return it yet again for a 4th time. Any suggestion how I should handle getting a refund? They won't connect me with a manager and they won't acknowledge my letter of complaint. I'm starting to wish I had gone with Cannon. Too much Nikon glass to make a move now though.

hrphotography

they are lying....any communication u send to anyone in nikon is added in pdf to ur account...they are trying to avoid the refund. they know all the tactics....i have been thru this.
anyways, send in fourth time. call them, they have to let u talk to their manager, they cannot say now. they may say that he is away then u call back.
If they refuse, report them to Better Business Bureau. they have to exchange or refund a "lemon" product, per lemon law. Many of D600s including urs is a lemon. you have returned it 3 times already. do not let it go.
yes i wish went for canon too, actually i had upgraded from Olympus so started from scratch....so it was a more heart break for me :(

Last edited: