10-24 or 12-24?

reverb

Just a quick question - before I manage to spend all my Christmas money and then some more....

Looking for a Wide Angle for my D3200. The 10-24mm is more in my price range than the 12-24mm, but wondered whether the difference in quality matched the difference in price. Will I regret the 10-24mm?

I'm sure I've read about this before on here, but cannot seem to find the thread. So welcome some new comments.

thanks in advance

reverb

The Nikon 10-24 is great! What brands are you talking about?

Thanks. Looking at Nikon brand (Nikkor?). I'm not a professional in any sense, so do not need pro lenses. But just wanted to make sure the 100% difference in price didn't make the 10-24mm a weak second place.

Rick M

They are very close in performance, one is wider, the other is a constant aperture. The difference between f4 and 3.5-4.5 is negligible in my opinion. 2mm wider is significant and hence my preference for the 10-24, which is also the newer version.

Horoscope Fish

They are very close in performance, one is wider, the other is a constant aperture. The difference between f4 and 3.5-4.5 is negligible in my opinion. 2mm wider is significant and hence my preference for the 10-24, which is also the newer version.
Aaaaaaand... There's your answer.

reverb

Many thanks. Off now to make the camera shop owner a little happier.

Millie

Banned
I have used The Sigma 10-20mm for years on various cameras lately the D3200. Most of the time it is used at 10mm F8 so I would advise going for a 10mm version rather than 12 as a couple of mm makes a big difference.
Remember quality wise if you shoot from one spot at 20 mm and then go to 10mm your picture is twice as wide and twice as tall so thats 4x the picture area ...your first picture at 20 mm is now spread over 6mp when you used 10mm.

reverb

Just wondering if you've made your purchase yet and how it's worked out.

Not yet. Christmas, family and life all got in the way so far. Seen a really good deal at Park Cameras, so hope to get this soon. Will be posting pics for your criticism as soon as I can.