D3200 w/ 16GB SD having screen delays after turned off

Amanda Adams

I upgraded from a Nikon D40 SLR to a Nikon D3200 on Black Friday. I have noticed lately that there is a delay (displays an hour glass) when I turn it on and sometimes between photos as well. sometimes the delay is quick but other times it extends beyond what I think I normal. In addition when my battery had 2 bars and I was taking photos at night there was an even longer delay and the hour glass remained on the screen even after I shut the camera off. I am using a 16 GB SanDisk Extreme 45mb/s. With my D40 I never used a card this large so I wasn't sure if this was something that occurred with larger cards. Figured I would check t see if these are normal responses before I decided if I need to consider returning it.

Any ideas?

Amanda Adams

I was shooting in viewfinder mode and using a Speedlight SB-400 Flash. The delay when the battery was a little drained was at least 10-15 seconds or more and was after shooting several photos one after another. I have never had a camera not shut off so that is the time that kinda alarmed me.

Have you tried any other SD cards? It sounds like it is still writing to the card. There are some SD cards out there that are not what they say they are. Before I would send it back I would try a different card. Size of the card should not make any difference in speed. Also make sure that you have formatted the card in the camera and not another camera or on the computer.

Rick M

I was shooting in viewfinder mode and using a Speedlight SB-400 Flash. The delay when the battery was a little drained was at least 10-15 seconds or more and was after shooting several photos one after another. I have never had a camera not shut off so that is the time that kinda alarmed me.

This is not unusual and the battery has nothing to do with it. I just shot 10 shots in high continuous and it took 20 seconds to turn off (my card is only 30mb/s). You are experiencing this now because of the high MP sensor.