First go-about with the Siggy 8mm

480sparky

Finally got out this morning to take my new (to me) Sigma 8mm circular fisheye for a test drive.

I haven't had a chance to do my standard bench-test to find to 'sweet spot', so I tried to keep the aperture at f/8 or f/11.

As I'm visiting family in Texas for the holiday, I took a stroll around the back yard once the sun got a ways up in the sky. I started off with the traditional full-sky shot:

D61_0199Post.jpg

As with many lenses, this one is subject to flare, especially when the light source is withing the frame. Here's the 100% crop of the above image:

D61_0199Post2.jpg

Wood fence, about 4" away:

D61_0206Post.jpg

Another flare test, this time with the sun along the edge of the circle:

D61_0213Post.jpg

100% crop of above:

D61_0213Post2.jpg

Sharpness and chromatic abberation test:

D61_0222Post.jpg

100% crop of above:

D61_0222Post2.jpg

Another sharpness & CA test

D61_0224Post.jpg

100% crops of the above (near center and at edge of circle):

D61_0224Post2.jpg

D61_0224Post3.jpg

I haven't had a chance to really do my standard bench-testing, but this first outing shows that this lens is certainly quite sharp across the image, with no real CA issues. All-in-all, it seems a very sharp lens!

BackdoorArts

Interesting stuff. I love my fisheyes, but I'm still not convinced that I can be fond of the circular. Knowing me, if I ever stumble on a deal for one...

BackdoorArts

I can see in circles, and I get it, but I don't see it in what I want to shoot so much. Cool effect, but not a fit - at least at the moment. Probably a good thing for the wallet. LOL