D7000 gray market

Jughead28

Hello,

I am a newbie on D7000. I recently got this gift from my wife, this new cool D7000. She gave me this so I could take pictures for our baby to come.. 2 weeks .. yes.. Now my only concern was it was bought on the gray market which she did not know about.(CameraKings store) and it is too late to return back since they won't accept returns anymore for more than 21 days. So the main question is, can I update the firmware of the D7000 since it is a gray market? Thanks for the help guys..

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

The answer is yes. Even though it is a gray market product, it was still made by Nikon, and therefore they honour all their products.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Gray market does not change how you use the camera itself so applying a firmware update is fine as fotojack said. In the U.S., Nikon will not repair gray market equipment. Other parts of the world have different laws that may require warranty repairs. Thom Hogan has a detailed write up regarding Nikon warranties and gray market equipment. You shouldn't sweat it though. I've bought a couple gray market lenses second hand and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

Joseph Bautsch

Do you have any other piece of Nikon equipment that has or had the regular Nikon USA warranty, a lens, or flash? If so, you can register it on the Nikon site and that will give you access to all the firmware, users manuals, and service updates for all cameras and Nikon photo equipment. I had the same problem with the D80 I purchased as gray market. I had also purchased the SB800 flash but it had the Nikon USA warranty. I registered it and was able to get the D80 firmware update even though Nikon would not allow it to be registered.

Jughead28

Thanks guys, It give me a piece of mind. I recently bought a 35mm Lens 1.8/F from Adorama with USA warranty but if I can update it without the problem like Fotojack said then Im all good. Thank you for the advice.