Best Macro lense

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm partial to my 60mm 2.8D

and then, every once in a while, I get crazy and use the Tokina ATX-Pro Macro 100mm 2.8 D

I agree, the 60mm is a sweetheart and more importantly is priced far under what it should be given its overall quality. Moreover, it makes an excellent portrait lens, too.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Can anyone tell me what is the best macro lense made by Nikon?

This question is too broad IMO. I'm not sure what the intent was/is.

Here is why.

1. Best macro lens for DX or FX?
2. Best Macro with VR?
3. Best macro for bugs?
4. Best multi-purpose DX lens?

If you are interested in getting one, the choices are listed on the link below. You can choose one depending on your budget and what you intend to use it for.

Macro Photography Lenses | Close Up Lenses

Bukitimah

You just open a flood gate. There isn't a best macro lens by Nikon or anyone else in my opinion. There are many methods of taking macro and all works. Of course with a macro lens, you have less adjustments to make. However, most times, you need to make special arrangements to get the effect you want. The only way is via practise and many shots till you eventually get it right. Good luck.

Ironwood

Would the 105 micro be good for bugs?

I use the 105VR for insects and spiders, I am happy with how mine performs.
To get the best out of it will take a bit of refining your technique (same with any lens).
There are some good threads on here that will help you with learning how to use flash and a diffuser to help get enough light on your subject.
Read through the threads in the macro forum.

Here are a couple of my shots with a D7100 and Nikon 105VR.
DSC_2791.jpg

DSC_2998.jpg

DSC_3702.jpg

DSC_2836.jpg

wud

I really like the 105mm but I don't know the others. It's very sharp but imo, a little slow. But manual focus I think is okay easy.

Is the 60mm any faster than the 105vr?

I really don't understand how you get the bugs to hold still, while you make focus stacking?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironwood

I really don't understand how you get the bugs to hold still, while you make focus stacking?!

For my shots I don't focus stack, they are all single shots. I use f16 and set the lens to manual focus, I focus the lens to the working distance I want, then move the camera in and out to get the subject in focus, flash gives me a fast enough shutter speed.

wud

For my shots I don't focus stack, they are all single shots. I use f16 and set the lens to manual focus, I focus the lens to the working distance I want, then move the camera in and out to get the subject in focus, flash gives me a fast enough shutter speed.

Just think I've seen some doing focus stacking but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Great images you posted :D

Ironwood

Just think I've seen some doing focus stacking but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Great images you posted :D

I can remember seeing some of Scott Murray's insect photos that were focus stacked, I will attempt it one day, when Jonathan teaches me how to do it. :D