indoor shot issues

CocoCheeze

Hello, I have moved from a D5000 to D90 to the D700. Have to say, hated the D90. Now... D700. I am able to adjust and get everything perfect outdoors. Indoors? Not so much. I don't always want to use by 50mm lens, but that seems to be the only one I can get adjusted to be Ok. I have a 24-120mm that has such great range I would like to be able to use it. Any bit of movement is blurred. Help?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What are your iso, shutter speed and aperture? You know that photography is only a technique to catch an image of a subject that is lit by the available light. When there is not enough light, the photo can be blurred because of a too slow shutter speed and/or camera movement. Photography needs light and sometimes lots of it, without light, no picture can be taken.

I also have a D700 and the 24-120 and have been able to do wonderful available light portraits with it. You'll have to give us more details for us to be able to help.

Scott Murray

916245d1356617911-dive-watches-how-do-you-wear-yours-useless_thread_1.jpg

BackdoorArts

(puts on Karnack the Magnificant-like turban and holds an envelope to his head)

With no information other than what you've given I have to suspect that your ISO setting is at the heart of your problem. If it's planted at ISO 100 or something in that range there's not a mode in the world that's going to save you. The ISO needs to be set in such a way that you can get your shutter speed up to where it eliminates movement. I'm assuming that since you say you're getting it even with a tripod that it's not just camera movement but subject movement. Camera movement is usually eliminated when the shutter speed is faster than the focal length (i.e faster than 1/50 when using a 50mm). Subject movement is totally up to the subject. If they're moving then you're going to need to be moving with them, or shooting fast - how fast depends on how fast they move. 1/60sec or faster is usually enough to eliminate normal motion.

If you're uncomfortable with setting ISO then when indoors try using Auto ISO which will set your ISO in a way that will allow you to set your shutter speed and still get a photo, or when in aperture priority mode it will keep the minimum shutter speed faster than the focal length.

But really, that's all guess work. We need more information.

CocoCheeze

I usually shoot in Manual mode. I had my ISO sensitivity setting on auto with maximum sensitivity to 6400 and min shutter speed is 1/8 I thought maybe I would turn the auto off and just tune it myself. I'll post a photo once someone is up and moving here.

Scott Murray

I usually shoot in Manual mode. I had my ISO sensitivity setting on auto with maximum sensitivity to 6400 and min shutter speed is 1/8 I thought maybe I would turn the auto off and just tune it myself. I'll post a photo once someone is up and moving here.
We are always here, just send a photo of anything a static plant a fly buzzing across the room or even you throwing a pillow at a cat. We will get the jyst.

Take a photo of a non moving element in the house for starters. This will tell us lots.

CocoCheeze

well I did a reset on it, put it in Aperature Priority changed a few things in the shooting menu and we seem to be in business. I'll get some photos uploaded today and see if I see any of the strange fuzz and blurr. Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head

You can get sharper images if it was on a tripod by using Mup. Wait about 2 to 3 seconds then press the shutter for slow shutter speeds. With a bounce flash and that Auto ISO, I cannot imagine how you cannot get good pictures unless your subjects are moving and your shutter speed is less than 1/60.