Photography Education Options

2MuchTurbo

Asking this to the general population of Nikonites out there...please help a newcommer!

So I want to learn more about photography...aperture, iso, shutter speed, lighting, etc. and I have a bunch of options.

1. Youtube

2. Books

3. Classes offered by my local photography shops (for those who know Montreal, Photoservices and/or Lozeau)

Can you please make some recommendations for the best source of learning...if you think #1 or #2 is better than #3, please make a few suggestions. Willing to spend a little $$ considering classes at my local photography shops cost about $200 for 5 3-hour sessions.

Thanks!

I am generally suspect of local photography shops that have their own classes but they may do a great job or they may be pushing their own agenda. You can never tell till it is to late sometimes. Many times a local college will have classes but you might have the same problem there. I took a photoshop class this summer and I even know the instructor but the class was a total bust. I think that practicing, YouTube, Good photography books and of course the best Nikon Forum in the world are probably your best bet.

nickt

Everyone learns differently. I am not a classroom kind of guy. I prefer to read and sometimes watch a few videos. I'll read/watch, then try some hands on, then go back and google specific details that I'm shaky on or ask on a forum. I'm talking here mainly about learning the technical details. I'm pretty good with the technical part. I'm not so good with the creative part. I think there may be some benefit, if not just inspiration, from a class on the creative aspects of photography. I would say try on your own to learn the technical stuff. If that doesn't work out, then consider a basic course. Once you have that down, see where your creative side takes you and decide if you need another class. Learn the science part first though, it will help you understand your user manual and learn to operate your camera without frustration.

Here are some links I share often:

Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle - Digital Photography School

Exposure | Understanding Exposure - ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed Explained

Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, & Light Explained-Understanding Exposure & Camera Settings - YouTube

A good book:
Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

There are many basic photography books that are very good to start with. Sometimes they turn up in the bargain bin at your local bookstore.

I saw recently that my local library held a (free) photography class, so maybe there is something like that in your area.

Just-Clayton

So, most of the time you can learn quite a bit on here. Just ask. Then people can direct you to a good sight to read and get an understanding. Then myself I would go and try what I read. This way it sinks in. They say practice makes perfect. after 3 years on here I can go out and shoot with confidence.

Dave_W

The Dude
Books and Utube are fine ways to learn but by far the best thing you could do for yourself is to join a local photography club (or group) and attend some photo outings with them. Nothing will teach you better or faster than hanging out with other photographers taking photographs and talking photography. In addition to helping you develop your skills and expose you to a wide variety of techniques, you will also be networking yourself with the local community. But more importantly, it's a lot of fun meeting others who suffer from the same disease as you do. :)

What I normally do is to look at everyone photos here. When I see one I like I try to figure out WHY I like it. Then you have to find out HOW to do it. Google, read, you tube to try and figure it out. Still can't ask the person here how they did it. I am sure there are people here that are tired of answering my questions. That is how I learned HDR, Panos, and my favorite Focus Stacking.